WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Optoma Projectors We PROJECT You'll Enjoy

Do you own an Optoma projector yet? Why not? Do you know how many of these things we have? We're DROWNING here! Please. For our sakes. Buy a projector.
Optoma official site

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Does anyone really have a gaming projector? Can we see it in action?

I'm just hanging out, really.

paulw1128

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paulw1128
inkycatz wrote:Does anyone really have a gaming projector? Can we see it in action?

I had a gaming projector once, but it wasn't very good - couldn't even hold it's own in MW2.

So I replaced it with a multimedia projector, and now instead I get snarky comments about my taste in movies from it....

wait - I did a quality post? When?!?

paulw1128

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paulw1128

More seriously, anyone wanting to know the difference between the HD180, HD20, HD23 projectors (i.e. the white ones at $650/$680), here's a handy google docs spreadsheet of the specs side by side, since the woot monkeys like to put stuff in a random order on the specs page...

The only differences are the HD23 is a bit brighter, and a bit quieter. The HD180 has slightly lower contrast reported, although I'm not sure if there's ever been a side-by-side vs the HD20.

And yes, the HD20 is listed twice...

wait - I did a quality post? When?!?

uwradu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uwradu
paulw1128 wrote:More seriously, anyone wanting to know the difference between the HD180, HD20, HD23 projectors (i.e. the white ones at $650/$680), here's a handy google docs spreadsheet of the specs side by side, since the woot monkeys like to put stuff in a random order on the specs page...

The only differences are the HD23 is a bit brighter, and a bit quieter. The HD180 has slightly lower contrast reported, although I'm not sure if there's ever been a side-by-side vs the HD20.

And yes, the HD20 is listed twice...

More importantly though, both newegg and Amazon have the Viewsonic PRO8200 for $699 new, which most people--including on avsforum.com--are reviewing more favorably than the HD20 and its variants.

prekmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prekmom

I used the professional projector the other night. Tiny little thing, but it did a great job showing a movie on a giant screen in a meeting room.

nleksan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nleksan

Having owned a good number of projectors, I would say that the HD80 is ideal for the majority of consumers, with the HD23 being better-suited to those who are extremely picky about contrast ratio, color accuracy, color gamut, etc; the reason being that I tend to burn out bulbs on the HD23 in about 1050-1300 hours, while the HD80 has never gone for less than 2200hrs! That is with all of the brightness/luminosity/etc settings all cranked up, and with both projectors pictures being professionally calibrated (via my Spyder equipment, amongst others).

The HD80 is going to be ideal for people who use the projector for things like having people over for watching football, watching DVD's, and playing Xbox360/PS3/Wii(Wii U). The HD23 is a bit more ideal for those who will be using a computer as the primary input source and/or uses Blu-Ray exclusively.

Just my opinions from my experiences...

That said, if you have a good* gaming rig then I promise you that having 3x 1920x1080 DLP projectors, each forming a 85-140"-diagonal image, setup in nVidia Surround/AMD Eye-Finity with PERFECT edge alignment, is absolutely the greatest thing you will experience for a VERY LONG TIME!
I used 3x HD80's in my home theater room (basically my entire basement is a room-within-a-room and is setup as a home theater of about 2400sq-ft, and is the only place with enough wall space), projecting onto 3 portable screens (I recommend the high-end light-grey screens for strong contrast), giving 3x105" images. THERE ARE NO BEZELS! It is a truly seamless transition between screens, enough so that it 100% looks like a single 5760x1080 screen!
I have since changed to a center 2560x1600 projector (110" diagonal; 93.25"W x 58.3"H) flanked by two horizontally-mounted 1600x1200 projectors (68.75" diagonal, giving a perfect 58.3"H x 36.5"W). This gives a resolution of 5760x1600, far more pleasing to look at due to the significantly increased pixel density.

*(in this case, at least a 2500K or equivalent, and a minimum of 2x GTX560Ti's/HD5870's, or ideally 2700K/3770K/3930K with 1-2x GTX670/GTX680/HD7970/HD7950

dwijster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwijster

I own the GT750 gaming projector. I love that this thing is 3D Link and RF 3D capable. I can use 3Dlink glasses as they are so much cheaper. Also, it comes with powerful built-in speakers and a backpack for portablilty. Mostly used for multiplayer FPS games and racing games and movies, movies, movies. It works well with ambient lights as well. Although it is amazing with in complete darkness. I have put about 2,300 hours on this thing and it is still just as bright as the day I got it. Optoma, IMO is a top brand in projectors.

realtimshady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages realtimshady
dwijster wrote:I own the GT750 gaming projector. I love that this thing is 3D Link and RF 3D capable. I can use 3Dlink glasses as they are so much cheaper. Also, it comes with powerful built-in speakers and a backpack for portablilty. Mostly used for multiplayer FPS games and racing games and movies, movies, movies. It works well with ambient lights as well. Although it is amazing with in complete darkness. I have put about 2,300 hours on this thing and it is still just as bright as the day I got it. Optoma, IMO is a top brand in projectors.

Have you (or any other woot gamers) noticed any input-lag while using the projector for gaming? I have recently learned that this can be an issue with HDTVs and am looking for something new in the not-too-distant future. (I'll be on PS3)

dwijster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwijster
realtimshady wrote:Have you (or any other woot gamers) noticed any input-lag while using the projector for gaming? I have recently learned that this can be an issue with HDTVs and am looking for something new in the not-too-distant future. (I'll be on PS3)

I personally, have not experienced any lag unless I am playing on line and the server ping rate gets too high but that is due to my internet connection and not the projector.

I did find this review that could be of use to you:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/game-projector-blog/review-optoma-gt750-gaming-projector.html

One of the comments talks about zero lag.

schrody

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schrody

Any thoughts on the ML500? Pretty impressive output for an LED - 500 lumens!

No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!