• 45.5% - Lightsaber 817
  • 13.2% - Phaser 237
  • 9% - Tesla Rifle 161
  • 16.7% - Death Star 300
  • 1% - Whiphound 18
  • 4.2% - Pulse Rifle 76
  • 10.5% - Phased Plasma Rifle 188
1797 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Best: Death Star
Coolest: Lightsaber

I've always thought "teleprompter" sounded like it should be a futuristic weapon. Little did I know how much of a weapon people would try to turn it into for the past couple years.

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

Is a light saber futuristic? It's from "a long time ago".

Regardless, I voted for it. And that question was not serious.

edit: @curtisuxor A teleprompter can be a dangerous weapon in the hands of a skilled orator.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
rprebel wrote:Is a light saber futuristic? It's from "a long time ago".

Ah, very good catch. I salute you sir! (or madam?)

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel
curtisuxor wrote:Ah, very good catch. I salute you sir! (or madam?)

See the sellout.woot poll for your answer.

btpaschke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btpaschke
curtisuxor wrote:Ah, very good catch. I salute you sir! (or madam?)

futuristic does not necessarily mean "from the future" just "future like". Since we don't currently have the technology and it's cool, it's futuristic.

That said, lightsaber's the coolest, death star is the best....but I wouldn't say no to having any of the weapons listed.

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

While lightsaber is unquestionably the coolest I am totally upset that you have a deathstar on the list but no love for constitution class starships. Consider my foot stamped.

xxxmiyuxxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxxmiyuxxx

I'm a physics/engineering major. I was seriously considering switching to liberal arts after my physics professor told us that light sabers could never actually be weapons. Apparently photons don't interact with each other. Stupid physics. Stupid Maxwell. And damn the man that derived Coulomb's Law! I bet it was Thomas Edison!

Lister22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Lister22

I would have said Gravity Gun, if it had been a choice. Or Portal Gun, but it is more a device shaped like a gun.

mchellefa183

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mchellefa183

Who would even vote for the Death Star?? Thing blew up from one single proton torpedo shot down a 2 meter wide emergency shaft... pffft... Just as easy as shooting a womp rat!

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama

Light Sabre isn't that impressive if you don't have Jedi skills and strong with the force... might as well have a sword... Average Joe Plumber would not be able to block projectiles with one.

Never bring a Lightsabre to a phaser gun fight.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Obviously there is a severe lack of reading among wooters. I bet most don't even know what a whiphound is, else it would certainly be in the lead, at least among the limited choices offered.

Reason Hypervelocity Railgun should certainly have been an option, not to mention Winona and Vera. :-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

takenforgranite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages takenforgranite
xxxmiyuxxx wrote: Apparently photons don't interact with each other. Stupid physics. Stupid Maxwell. And damn the man that derived Coulomb's Law! I bet it was Thomas Edison!

Tell me more. Or a link. Whatever. In what sense do photons need to interact with each other to acheive lightsaberness?

/Not a troll, seriously interested. And a little bummed out maybe.

takenforgranite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages takenforgranite
ckeilah wrote:I bet most don't even know what a whiphound is,

Feel free to provide a link to illuminate our ignorance.

lancer843

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lancer843
Lister22 wrote:I would have said Gravity Gun, if it had been a choice. Or Portal Gun, but it is more a device shaped like a gun.

Agreed, I was really hoping for that option but its was only other nerd weapons. I still think in portals

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo
MISRy wrote:While lightsaber is unquestionably the coolest I am totally upset that you have a deathstar on the list but no love for constitution class starships. Consider my foot stamped.

I assume that "Phasers" include Connie-mounted phasers. Technically the Death Star isn't a weapon itself (unless you count the damage it inflicts when it explodes) it's got weapons mounted on it... so it being on the list is a bit of a departure from the question.

Phasers have much more utility than the average pew pew weapon, which is why I chose them.

cappo

ckeilah wrote:Obviously there is a severe lack of reading among wooters. I bet most don't even know what a whiphound is, else it would certainly be in the lead, at least among the limited choices offered.

Reason Hypervelocity Railgun should certainly have been an option, not to mention Winona and Vera. :-)

Whiphound sounds like an abused canine... I have no idea what that is, but I am not in favor of animal abuse.

2xhero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2xhero

I had no idea about what a whiphound is. I am guess it is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_Revelation_Space#Whiphounds. Seems cool enough I guess.

Point aside, I am most disappointed by the lack of mechs in this poll.

cappo

Mechs themselves, also technically not weapons, (at least the ones I'm thinking of) they have weapons mounted on them.

Speaking of which... I want to squeeze in a couple more rounds of Mechwarrior Online before it goes down for today's patch, probably in about 25 minutes.

theoneill555

quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555
seahokedrama wrote:Light Sabre isn't that impressive if you don't have Jedi skills and strong with the force... might as well have a sword... Average Joe Plumber would not be able to block projectiles with one.

Never bring a Lightsabre to a phaser gun fight.

Exactly my thoughts. Any fool can a phaser but it takes a Jedi to utilize a lightsaber.

Which would you choose?

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

astrobuf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astrobuf
theoneill555 wrote:Exactly my thoughts. Any fool can a phaser but it takes a Jedi to utilize a lightsaber.

Which would you choose?

Well, the Phaser which of course is made of unobtanium in my life. But for a real kick, watch this Hypersonic rail gun in action:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uV1SbEuzFU

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr
mchellefa183 wrote:Who would even vote for the Death Star?? Thing blew up from one single proton torpedo shot down a 2 meter wide emergency shaft... pffft... Just as easy as shooting a womp rat!

It was a ventilation shaft... I don't think any escape pods, or tiny ships are starting their exit from the actual station core which is probably 5 billion degrees.

tyleerb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tyleerb
ckeilah wrote:Obviously there is a severe lack of reading among wooters. I bet most don't even know what a whiphound is, else it would certainly be in the lead, at least among the limited choices offered.

Whiphound is a nice weapon but it just doesn't have the cool factor that the lightsaber does. Assuming of course that the wielder could use the force.

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

I voted for phaser only because photon torpedo was not a choice.

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7
roadlizard7 wrote:I voted for phaser only because photon torpedo was not a choice.

Of course, neither one can hold a candle compared to the Genesis Device.

bdwyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdwyer

You have to be a Jedi to use a lightsaber. Any butt head can use a phaser. Thus the phaser is better.

khentyimentiu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages khentyimentiu

kschoenberg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kschoenberg

Transporter is the best answer. Think about how much less shipping Woots would be...although somehow they'd still probably take two weeks to get here.

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

I would believe that because a lightsaber blade is not matter, it would win (cut through) the blade(whip) of a whiphound.

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

Genesis Device... well played sir/madame...well played...

roadlizard7 wrote:Of course, neither one can hold a candle compared to the Genesis Device.

redeye429

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redeye429

Sonic screwdriver. Obviously.

amandasaurus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amandasaurus

Meh. Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

unsunghero42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unsunghero42

I'll take a point of view gun over those options!

jedi1176

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jedi1176
rprebel wrote:Is a light saber futuristic? It's from "a long time ago". That IS true!

Regardless, I voted for it. And that question was not serious.

edit: @curtisuxor A teleprompter can be a dangerous weapon in the hands of a skilled orator.

riloman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riloman

why was the portal gun not on that list? have faith, there is cake...

riloman

Lister22 wrote:I would have said Gravity Gun, if it had been a choice. Or Portal Gun, but it is more a device shaped like a gun.

yes and yes. both great suggestions.

( and what are these symbols in brackets next to the comment box? do they assume I know html? )

riloman

kschoenberg wrote:Transporter is the best answer. Think about how much less shipping Woots would be...although somehow they'd still probably take two weeks to get here.

portal. gun.