12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

chris12345

quality posts: 25 Private Messages chris12345

Hey! $50 less than Best Buy! (Well, $45 less than Best Buy after shipping.)

edit: scratch that. It might be worth it to jump from a 90-day to a 1-year warranty. :/

Portions of this comment have been redacted.

jessfiness

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jessfiness
chris12345 wrote:Hey! $50 less than Best Buy! (Well, $45 less than Best Buy after shipping.)

But that sales tax at Best Buy > $5 shipping

Im seriously considering this. Need a new laptop for working on the go. How would this perform for mid-level gaming? Say, to play League of Legends when I'm out of town? i assume poorly, if so, would there be a worth-while video upgrade this thing is capable of receiving? I know very little about upgrading laptops. Thats my Roommate's department.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

I got this one from woot for $70 less.

For the extra money you get 2.4gHz instead of 2.2gHz processor and 500gb instead of 320gb HDD. Everything else is identical afa I can see.

jessfiness

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jessfiness

I had an Asus laptop that I abused the crap of for three and a half years and it always performed great. Until I decided my nephew needed it more than I, and gave it to him (Who still uses it, now over 4 years after initial purchase)

nick186

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nick186

I JUST BOUGHT THIS LAPTOP 3 DAYS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i bought it at best buy open box for $280 and i have to tell you having it for 3 days so far and its great!!! i can watch netflix hd movies with no problem and i just downloaded steam and im about to play some counter-strike! (havent played it in years!)

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

Black Friday. Wait for it.

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001
kuma99 wrote:Black Friday. Wait for it.

Most of the Black Friday ads are posted online. This Asus laptop is not in any of them

nick186

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nick186
kuma99 wrote:Black Friday. Wait for it.

nothing beats the price for a i3 laptop unless you want a dell. they have the 14z for $299 and its a i3

http://blackfriday.bradsdeals.com/ads/2012/dell-black-friday-ad

leko1055

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leko1055

Hey woot:

http://www.stripes.com/news/postal-service-lithium-battery-ban-ending-earlier-than-expected-1.197043

rsmoker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rsmoker

I can't stand that Asus puts all the I/O connections on the sides of the computer and none on the back. Anything with a wire is constantly in the way. Otherwise I'm happy with my Asus laptop.

rsmoker.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

leko1055 wrote:Hey woot:

http://www.stripes.com/news/postal-service-lithium-battery-ban-ending-earlier-than-expected-1.197043

Yes, we are aware of this. We have to go through a bit of internal red tape to get shipping going again on these items. Sorry for the inconvenience.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mevande

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande
chris12345 wrote:Hey! $50 less than Best Buy! (Well, $45 less than Best Buy after shipping.)

edit: scratch that. It might be worth it to jump from a 90-day to a 1-year warranty. :/

Wrong! Many best Buys have it in stock, hence no shipping charge. If you buy the square trade warranty, which you would be a fool not too on a refurb product, you get a new Laptop with a 1 year warranty and can return to store within 14 days if not satisfied.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
mevande wrote:Wrong! Many best Buys have it in stock, hence no shipping charge. If you buy the square trade warranty, which you would be a fool not too on a refurb product, you get a new Laptop with a 1 year warranty and can return to store within 14 days if not satisfied.

I think Best Buy offers free shipping, but let's stop providing free advertising for Best Buy. Let's talk about why we prefer obtaining everything from woot. Best Buy is a big box store. woot is now owned by Amazon. Huh... Well...

iguanabob69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iguanabob69

Does anyone know if the memory is upgradable beyond the 4GB that comes with it?

IguanaBob

iguanabob69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iguanabob69
iguanabob69 wrote:Does anyone know if the memory is upgradable beyond the 4GB that comes with it?

Duh! Found my answer! RTFM! Upgradable to 8GB.

IguanaBob

Tominator2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tominator2000

Not a bad deal! I just sprung for this one..

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-A53Z-AS61-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Mocha/dp/B007MW13PA

I've seen them side by side and the AMD Quad Core seemed faster but finally based my decision on the reviews....and bought another 4MB memory.

In any case you can get a new one with similar specs for $50 more and with Amazon Prime the shipping is free.

IMHO, these ASUS laptops are great machines for the price!

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns

Mid Summer Woot had similar ASUS BUT with an 2.5gHz intel i5 cpu for $50 more.

bigjp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigjp

The ban on lithium batteries by the post office will be lifted in a day. This will ship after that time, so why does the no shipping rule still apply on this item?

bigjp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigjp
bigjp wrote:The ban on lithium batteries by the post office will be lifted in a day. This will ship after that time, so why does the no shipping rule still apply on this item?

Oops....just saw a post above mine addressing this. Sorry Woot!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

A friend of mine needed a cheap laptop, and I recommend this about 4 months ago, best buy sold this on their website for like $320 (24 hour special). Spec wise it's a great PC. She brought it to me to decrapify and add some programs. It's pretty snappy, but the chasis is cheap and the keyboard feels cheap (seemed like it had a lot of flex to it). Look at $300-$350 laptops are going to cut edges somewhere- it's where you want to take the hit. It's an average deal, I would think for a refurb, this should be around $300.

djk21108

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djk21108

I bought an Asus laptop of this style a few months ago from Woot.

I got the developer's version of Windows 8, swapped out the tiny HDD for a super fast SSD. Also, bumped the RAM for 4GB to 8GB.

Now, this is my fastest computer in the house. Out performs my gaming PC in simple tasks like email and web browsing.

All this for a total cost under $500.

Run, don't walk, to this deal. Especially if you have the (very minor) capacity of swapping out parts. Two screws and a tug, and you're on the road to fast PC'ing.

catamount1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages catamount1
chipgreen wrote:I got this one from woot for $70 less.

For the extra money you get 2.4gHz instead of 2.2gHz processor and 500gb instead of 320gb HDD. Everything else is identical afa I can see.

The one you bought was a B960 and this is an i3, big difference.

gak0090

catamount1 wrote:The one you bought was a B960 and this is an i3, big difference.

I agree there is a pretty big difference between those processors, but in terms of cost it's not $70. The B960 are not too bad for a budget processor, although I would prefer an I3- most people in this budget market may not notice a perceivable difference in most of the programs they run. I still think todays refurb is about $50 too high.

truedivinity07

quality posts: 2 Private Messages truedivinity07
jessfiness wrote:But that sales tax at Best Buy > $5 shipping

Im seriously considering this. Need a new laptop for working on the go. How would this perform for mid-level gaming? Say, to play League of Legends when I'm out of town? i assume poorly, if so, would there be a worth-while video upgrade this thing is capable of receiving? I know very little about upgrading laptops. Thats my Roommate's department.

Someone may have answered this already, but the intel integrated graphics on this guy won't do much more than minecraft if you're lucky, and adding/swapping graphics cards in laptops just isn't viable yet. Only thing you could add would be RAM but that wouldn't help you run games it wouldn't normally handle.
http://microcenter.com/product/403620/Aspire_V3-551-8887_156_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Glossy_Black
This would be more of what you're looking for to play LoL only thing would be Acer instead of Asus.. and I prefer Asus, but in this price range brand might not matter so much.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
djk21108 wrote:I bought an Asus laptop of this style a few months ago from Woot.

I got the developer's version of Windows 8, swapped out the tiny HDD for a super fast SSD. Also, bumped the RAM for 4GB to 8GB.

All this for a total cost under $500.

hmmm - 'swapped out the tiny HDD for a super fast SSD'?

'Just curious, if you considered 500 GB to be tiny, what is the size of your shiny new SSD?

I'm guessing that $150 for the new RAM and SSD resulted in 120 GB or less. If 500 GB is tiny then 120 GB must be downright lilliputian!

A 500 GB SSD would cost as much as this entire laptop. And just about any laptop can be made to feel snappier with an SSD, but not without giving up storage space as a practical matter.

A 500 GB hard drive is plenty big for most people.

guppeeh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guppeeh

Why do WOOT leave out the NIC speed? GigE vs 100Mb is a big deal for anyone that seriously wants to put this laptop to work. Try transferring 50 GB on fast ethernet and you'd know what I mean.

Lastly, ethernet port speed is NOT an easy upgrade on a laptop. USB3 to GigE adapters are up to $40ea.

gak0090

This looks nicer for $400 & free ship:

Asus 15.6" U-Series Laptop w/ Dual-Core i5 2.5GHz CPU, Bluetooth, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Built-in 10Base-T/100-BaseTX/1000Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector) & Windows 7

http://1saleaday.com/flash/u57a-bbl4/

To see the offer you have to register on 1saleaday- takes 2 seconds

Here is information about the same model at BB site

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+15.6%22+Laptop+-+6GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Aluminum+Lake+Blue/5584485.p?id=1218666586495&skuId=5584485#tab=specifications

satch69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages satch69

No bluetooth?

Am I a man who has just been dreaming that he was a butterfly, or a sleeping butterfly, now dreaming that he is a man?

djk21108

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djk21108
bluemaple wrote:hmmm - 'swapped out the tiny HDD for a super fast SSD'?

'Just curious, if you considered 500 GB to be tiny, what is the size of your shiny new SSD?

I'm guessing that $150 for the new RAM and SSD resulted in 120 GB or less. If 500 GB is tiny then 120 GB must be downright lilliputian!

A 500 GB SSD would cost as much as this entire laptop. And just about any laptop can be made to feel snappier with an SSD, but not without giving up storage space as a practical matter.

A 500 GB hard drive is plenty big for most people.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my explanation. My Laptop came with a 320GB HDD. I was trying to disparage the size and also the speed. You're right, I did get a 120 SSD. I guess I'm just saying "if you're gonna have an HDD at least make it a big one."

But yes, you're right on all accounts.

gak0090

djk21108 wrote:Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my explanation. My Laptop came with a 320GB HDD. I was trying to disparage the size and also the speed. You're right, I did get a 120 SSD. I guess I'm just saying "if you're gonna have an HDD at least make it a big one."

But yes, you're right on all accounts.

So basically what your saying is that in terms of your hard drive size matters.

mbahk2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbahk2

This seems to be a great deal. I would definitely bought this if only it had one more USB port.

nightowldreamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nightowldreamer

What about the 4cell battery. I read it's only good for (est.) 1 to 1.5 hours? Can I get a better battery? Is that upgradeable in a laptop?

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
gak0090 wrote:A friend of mine needed a cheap laptop, and I recommend this about 4 months ago, best buy sold this on their website for like $320 (24 hour special). Spec wise it's a great PC. She brought it to me to decrapify and add some programs. It's pretty snappy, but the chasis is cheap and the keyboard feels cheap (seemed like it had a lot of flex to it). .

The KB on the K53E Asus from Woot back in August has a great feel. Best feel for a touch typist like me of any "chicklet" type KB! That one went for $50 more than this i3, but had an i5 cpu, gigabit NIC and a 6-cell battery although Woot info listed it for 4-cell. Easily upgraded RAM to 8gb. Using it now. Fairly heavy but highly recommended. This one appears to be same but with a different cpu.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

How many of these things does woot have for sale? And why are so many refurbished units available? Is it possible that brand new, totally fine devices get labeled "refurbished" for no reason other than to be sold in secondary markets as refurbished units?

bluemaple

guppeeh wrote:Why do WOOT leave out the NIC speed? GigE vs 100Mb is a big deal for anyone that seriously wants to put this laptop to work. Try transferring 50 GB on fast ethernet and you'd know what I mean.

Lastly, ethernet port speed is NOT an easy upgrade on a laptop. USB3 to GigE adapters are up to $40ea.

From the specs: "10/100/1000 Mbit".... 1000 Mbit = 'GigE'

bluemaple

Perhaps I missed a previous comment, but didn't notice anybody pointing out that this unit having Windows 7 (rather than Windows 8) could be considered an advantage.

The reviews for Windows 8 on a non-touch screen are not wonderful.

dwasifar

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dwasifar

Someone will surely ask, does it work with Linux?

I can report: not as well as you'd hope. My wife has one of these, mainly for a Facebook and email machine, and it is flaky with Compiz and Flash. I was never able to get Flash stable on it with a 64-bit distro; finally I installed a 32-bit Debian derivative and it works okay now. But you can't just drop any old Linux on it without problems; the video seems like the most likely culprit.