4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Would love to see some sample video by people that bought this previously.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

garthsworld

quality posts: 2 Private Messages garthsworld

Always wise to check the price on Amazon... $133.32. It appears to be the same model.
http://www.amazon.com/Swann-Freestyle-Waterproof-Sports-Camera/dp/B005EROCLC

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
garthsworld wrote:Always wise to check the price on Amazon... $133.32. It appears to be the same model.

No offense, but it doesn't even look close to it.
EDIT: I THINK I SCREWED UP BIG TIME. I'LL BE BACK WHEN I LOOK AT THIS SOME MORE. SO SORRY. I THOUGHT IT LOOKED DIFFERENT. MY GOING TOO FAST/COCKINESS IS PROBABLY THE PROBLEM.

ThunderThighs wrote:Would love to see some sample video by people that bought this previously.

People have bought this? When?

Okay, so it's always $139.99, at least I think it was in October
https://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5209230

for sure in September,
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5187497

and at a woot-off in May:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5007550

and when I made a comment in July:

whatsamattaU wrote:Sorry, reading estate paperwork, so this is all I can do now. Maybe I can do more later: the woots have lots of comments, though
Previous woot in April:

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4978093

Previous woot in May:

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5017665

Both were $139.99 then, too.

Product page:
http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1297

with videos, brouchure, and manual:
Here's the manual, for example
http://www.swann.com/webfiles/download/1635freestyle_hd_sports_v1.0.pdf

Finally, the Woot actual field test:

Sorry, got to go back to reading. Bye.

but other than that, you've hardly sold it

garthsworld

whatsamattaU wrote:but other than that, you've hardly sold it

So what seems to be the difference between model SWVID-SPORTL and SWVID-SPORTL-GL, since they aren't even close?

shabazz18

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shabazz18
garthsworld wrote:So what seems to be the difference between model SWVID-SPORTL and SWVID-SPORTL-GL, since they aren't even close?

No kidding, looks the same to me.

whatsamattaU

shabazz18 wrote:No kidding, looks the same to me.

I'll be back with you, I'm looking at the specs. You can too, in the meantime.

garthsworld

whatsamattaU wrote:I'll be back with you, I'm looking at the specs. You can too, in the meantime.

I did before I posted the link. You said they aren't even close so I was wondering what I missed.

whatsamattaU

garthsworld wrote:I did before I posted the link. You said they aren't even close so I was wondering what I missed.

Edit: assume I'm wrong until I get back to you, sorry. See above. I thought I looked at the photos sufficiently, I think I didn't. I'm still looking at the specs. I've had to walk away with my tail between my legs before, I may be doing it again.

garthsworld

whatsamattaU wrote:Edit: assume I'm wrong until I get back to you, sorry. See above. I thought I looked at the photos sufficiently, I think I didn't. I'm still looking at the specs. I've had to walk away with my tail between my egs before, I may be doing it again.

I shall, and I'll just avoid jumping in and giving my observations in the future. Nice way to jump on someone who has been buying stuff on Woot for over a year and finally decides to jump in and be part of the community...

danrulz98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danrulz98

It looks like there's a slight difference in the design of the housing...

whatsamattaU

garthsworld wrote:I shall, and I'll just avoid jumping in and giving my observations in the future. Nice way to jump on someone who has been buying stuff on Woot for over a year and finally decides to jump in and be part of the community...

I've looked at the specs several times on woot, looked through the manual a few times, looked at the product website several times, looked at the Amazon site a few times. The specs match as far as what the camera does, the dimensions don't match at all (but the specs don't seem to match the camera: 3.2 x 6.3 x 11 inches or 6.4 inches, depending on which part of the description you look at on Amazon), the product website doesn't list the GL form at all no matter how hard I look, but I'll assume you're right at this point until they say otherwise. Just close my account, woot, I'd understand--not worth what happened tonight.

kencan420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kencan420

does anyone know if Mac compatible ? is there an app so I can use on iphone or iPad ?

kencan420

stevethorpe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stevethorpe
ThunderThighs wrote:Would love to see some sample video by people that bought this previously.

I bought 2 of these when they first came up on Woot .. one for myself and one for my son.

Not disappointed.

This was the first video I made with mine

ziglaf

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ziglaf

I got one of these on regular woot a few months back and really love it. For the money you can't go wrong. Here's a helmet cam video taken from mine while paintballing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-ZcOk7I2w

roguetorino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roguetorino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF_abX4Kqec&list=UUJqSudr8tUVma8PMXpPwmOA&index=1&feature=plcp it's the video on the bottom right, the upper left in cabin shot is my go pro hero 2, this is also what's supplying the sound.

The swann is pretty durable, but the sound kinda sucks. Ran it over last week and the camera still works and the lens on the case didn't even get scratched.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
garthsworld wrote:Always wise to check the price on Amazon... $133.32. It appears to be the same model.

It's very rarely the case but it does appear that it is cheaper at amazon sold by amazon especially with free shipping. I've seen woot! drop their price mid sale to compensate before....?

zinjamaster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zinjamaster

Would not recommend this camera. The ONLY thing this camera has going for it is that it can be mounted without the enclosure (there is a mounting screw in the camera itself). Other than that, the camera is crap IMO. I had one (bought from Woot) and it malfunctioned and wouldn't recover. Got an RMA and returned it for repair/replacement. I was sent an email indicating it would need to be replaced. Waited, waited and 84 days later received my replacement camera. Almost 3 months!!! Repair facility kept telling me they were out of stock and waiting for distributer. With the new GoPro Hero 3 White Edition costing only $199.00 (I have one and love it), that is the way to go. This is cheap crap. Get the Hero 3.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

THANK YOU VERTERANS!

“Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.” -Thomas Jefferson.

Here on Veterans day we should all take the time to thank our Vets. Your dedication and sacrifice, some the supreme sacrifice has and continues to insure all Americans live free.

Veterans, Thank You from not only America, but all the Fee World as well.

OutbackJon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages OutbackJon

I have one of these and absolutely love it. Stick a 32GB microSD Class 10 card into it and record for hours and hours. (Though the battery only gives about 2.5 hours.) It even takes decent still pics.

If you're going to use it for motorsports, the audio recording kind of sucks. Very tinny, and without the enclosure, it suffers from a LOT of wind noise. Here's a video I did, with the camera only. (no waterproof enclosure) The first part has the microphone covered with tape (to eliminate wind noise) and the second part has the mic uncovered.
Around the block

Here's another video. The first part was shot at 720p, and the second at 1080p.
Columbus Day Weekend

Here are a couple of others, both shot at 720p. I prefer the 720p setting for the wider angle.

A ride with a few friends:
Meet & Greet - To The Beach

A buddy crashing: (He was OK.)
Blue Thunder vs. Autumn at Bear Mountain

I find the included remote to be great for starting and stopping the video, but the range of it is limited to a couple of feet. The included LCD screen is also excellent for getting the camera mounted correctly before taking off on a ride. Haven't used the laser pointer except to make my dogs chase it.

In my opinion, the videos compare favorably with the GoPro, with the GoPro taking a slight edge in color, but not enough, for my purposes, to justify the difference in price. The included "extras", which I think are pretty essential, sealed the deal for me.

ianmcnally02131

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianmcnally02131

I bought last time the swan was on woot. I like all the accessories, so it works out cheaper than the Gopro. I haven't had time to make too many videos but here is one mountain biking. I am using the GoPro chesty mount which I bought seperately. Focus unfortunately is on the handle bars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VLf67SdA4w

here is another, I am still learning how to mount the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg_l2qUoH_U

melvin1952

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melvin1952

Great product for unique vid ops with dogs, fire fighting, foot travel, train layout views from a flat car, anything that moves, building inspections Great Price and great features

qtipman3001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages qtipman3001

Can this still record while plugged in and charging off a power source? They mention a 10 hour max recording capability, yet only a 2.5 hour battery life.

pfanelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pfanelli

Sorry guys, im new, what is cost for shipping, ordering wants a lot of info, BEFORE I can figure out total price. I don't want to give cc number before knowing total!!

willdeans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willdeans

I don't purchase things with funky batteries if I can help it. The untimely death of a funky battery has turned more than one otherwise usable portable device into garbage. Can this product somehow be run on AA's or without batteries? If not I wouldn't purchase it.

dtairtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtairtime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG3lFZRPiL4&feature=plcp

A few notes.
1. The GoPro mounts mostly work pretty good with this camera (some minor mods may be needed). But since GoPro has mounts not found by Swanns like the chesty mount it's worth it.
2. The resolution needs to be lower for activities where you have a lot of bumps like Mt. biking or the viewing become choppy and hard to watch.
3. Overall I would say the picture quality is slightly lower than a friends who has a GoPro on bumpy stuff but equal or better when I can turn the resolution up on smooth activities.
4. Easy to use.
5. The remote is so far not worth using.

Note - if you use this on water please buy a GoPro floaty (or you can use a leash if it is possible) as the camera in the housing won't float by itself.

automagni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages automagni

I warn you against purchasing this if you are going to mount it in the car. I had heard of the sound issue prior to purchasing it, but decided to give it a try since the price was good. Needless to say I ended up returning it to amazon. Check out my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwuadZ6glUk

Eggena

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eggena

Great product for the price. Bought for the kids several months ago to use at the skatepark, dirt biking, etc. I also have a GoPro Hero 2 and the two are very similar and I would hazard to say that the Swann is superior to the original Hero 1 which is only 5MP as compared to the Swann which is 8MP. Sound quality when recording with the camera in the case is not the greatest with either the Swann or the GoPro but the kids don't care since they add music to their videos. For the price you cannot beat it especially since it has the lcd screen, remote and a bunch of mounts.

Note: The Swann camera case will work with GoPro mounts however the GoPro and Swann have different size mounting bases so if you use a GoPro mount that attaches to a stick on base (ie Helmet) you will also need the corresponding adhesive GoPro base. The clamp-on and suction-on bases are a direct cross-over.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

How is this better than a GoPro?
And the battery life seems horrendous.

CT

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

Be aware of the laser aiming feature. Because the LCD viewer is detachable, the camera incorporates a laser to aid in aiming the camera. The laser is turned on with the same button used to start recording. It is possible to inadvertently turn on the laser and not be aware of it. I have this camera mounted on the dash of my car and almost drove around with the laser illuminated.

Just something to keep in mind.

All in all, I find it a decent camera. Battery life is a little disappointing. Someone asked if you can record while the battery is charging. I just tried that and camera is fully functional while plugged into a wall outlet, but the power cord is only about 2 feet long so don't expect to be charging and recording while you are terrorizing everyone on the slopes on your snowboard.

Can't comment on the audio. Never use it. Wish there was a way to turn it off.

There is no flash or other light source, so consider it for daytime use only.

The kit comes with a truckload of mounting options, but still I had to MacGyver a mount for my bike.

Don't have any cool vids to share. I wish I had the thing turned on when a driver tried to rush a left turn in front of me only to do a full 360 in the middle of the slick road.

barrykieth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barrykieth

I got this on the last woot. I use it for a lot of longboarding and snowboarding. The raw video quality is great right off the memory card. I love that it came with several mounts and the included LCD and remote are nice. The sound isn't great but I like putting music over my videos anyways. I've very happy with it. And for the price you can't beat it.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

Until I watched the video, I wasn't aware that I had real actual Woot friends in my real actual backyard. A word to the wise: Don't piss off the Canadian Poop Bombers.

schlot320

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schlot320

Recently went to Hi and wanted a durable underwater cam. This did what I needed it for and more. The voice recorder mode even captured the sounds of the night in the rainforest! The video below is some underwater footage of a critter that snuck up on me whilst snorkeling.

video was shot in 720p

OutbackJon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages OutbackJon
pfanelli wrote:Sorry guys, im new, what is cost for shipping, ordering wants a lot of info, BEFORE I can figure out total price. I don't want to give cc number before knowing total!!

$5. Just like it says in the top right corner of the page.

aki009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aki009

I like this camera and its remote control. However it can not be charged while it's filming. Hence you will cut off when the battery runs out (or you plug in power via the USB cable).

The battery is not insignificant in its capacity, as it can handle 2+ hours of high res capture, but if you want something longer, having external power available makes no difference.

snlsmith1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snlsmith1
shabazz18 wrote:No kidding, looks the same to me.

The one on Amazon has a 5mp* camera, the one on Woot is 8mp.

* Per the "Product Features" and "Product Description". However, in the "From the Manufacturer write up, it states it has a "8 Megapixel still camera".

snlsmith1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snlsmith1
whatsamattaU wrote:...The specs match as far as what the camera does, the dimensions don't match at all (but the specs don't seem to match the camera: 3.2 x 6.3 x 11 inches or 6.4 inches, depending on which part of the description you look at on Amazon), ...

I think the dimensions with 11" is the packaging, not the camera itself.

secretagentbill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages secretagentbill

Do not buy this! These cameras are junk!

It'd probably be fine if you were running it on a tripod, but any bit of motion whatsoever and the video is all kinds of distorted.

Oh, and Swann's tech support is nonexistent.

Sorry, I saw this deal this morning and wasn't near a computer until tonight to post my rant...

secretagentbill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages secretagentbill

Here are sample videos, taken on a smooth and level trail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnQ8apRgm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IAe7037swE

theac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theac

Looks like a good cam. Would be hard to tear me away from my Sony Action Cam though. Top rate image stabilisation and lo-light. Use it for my skating and just messing around at the beach. It does some pretty darn good underwater footage.