12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Any thoughts on this 3D TV?

FWIW: I did find out that the little black box behind that one pair of glasses is for charging the glasses via USB.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

arikleiman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arikleiman

I haven't found a review for this model, but three models from this brand are panned by Decide.com:

https://www.decide.com/search?q=coby&f=price?[200%20TO%20*]@categoryId?96252@96252.screenSize?[40%20TO%2046]&bqc=true

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

Pretty standard specs for a beginner's 3D LED/LCD HDTV. Nothing too special. In fact, it has fewer connections than I'd like. Although the specs are boring, the price is pretty amazing if you want to go 3D. And it's large at 46". The only problem is that it's a Coby. They neither design nor manufacture most of the devices they sell, and merely re-brand cheaply-made generic Chinese products. You often see the identical models from Coby, Emerson, Funai, Sylvania, etc -- and most of them are sold in the bargain section, i.e. $1.99 headphones.

Buy this if you want a cheap way to watch 3D, or a large screen. But don't expect the picture or sound to be very good, or a lifespan beyond 1-3 years (which may be fine given how fast TV technology is changing).

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1071 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Kuragari

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Kuragari

Yeah I wouldn't buy Coby anything. Especially a TV. It sounds like they're trying to trick with with their name too. "Not Sony, Coby!"

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

Coby- a well respected name in high- end electronics. Their tablets with high quality resistive touch and Parkinson's type response put even the IPAD to shame. Don't be a no-bee, just buy Coby.

EdHunt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EdHunt
Kuragari wrote:Yeah I wouldn't buy Coby anything. Especially a TV. It sounds like they're trying to trick with with their name too. "Not Sony, Coby!"

How does the name Coby even slightly resemble Sony? I don't see it.

dwayneam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwayneam

I own a pair of these glasses, got them cheep in amazon. They are VERY uncomfortable, have a little ghosting and cannot be worn with real glasses underneath.

I highly recommend the Playstation 3D Glasses, they work with any 3D TV, are very good quality, very comfortable and work great over real glasses. They are only $20 at target.com: http://www.target.com/p/playstation-3d-glasses-playstation-3d-display/-/A-13781235?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C13781235&CPNG=Unassigned&kpid=13781235&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=13781235&kpid=13781235&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=13781235

tgallagher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgallagher

Coby makes cheap but terrible products. I've had 2 experiences with them: When I was a kid my parents bought me a Coby radio. The tape player (and the kids just asked, "What's a tape player?") actually rewound and fastforwarded at the same speed it played. I timed it and it was the same speed. As for TV's a bought a bunch of small Coby TVs for an office at work (we needed small desktop TVs and they made the perfect size for what we needed). The verdict from all of my users: they hated the picture quality.

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione

Coby is the type of company that will make clock radios that don't keep time and radios with ineffective antennas. I have had the dubious pleasure of owning both of those items.

I do not trust that they could wire an LED in the right direction.

Bluesultan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bluesultan
Kuragari wrote:Yeah I wouldn't buy Coby anything. Especially a TV. It sounds like they're trying to trick with with their name too. "Not Sony, Coby!"

Sony guts! Don't we wish. ;)

Eratosthenes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Eratosthenes

My most memorable experience with a Coby product was the awful two-pack of headphones/earbuds (one of each) that I bought for my now-ex fiancee a few years ago. She hadn't owned them long before they went completely berserk and STARTED SHOCKING HER HEAD rather than playing music. Electricity was literally jumping from the speaker through the paper-thin foam straight to her ears.

gak0090

Eratosthenes wrote:My most memorable experience with a Coby product was the awful two-pack of headphones/earbuds (one of each) that I bought for my now-ex fiancee a few years ago. She hadn't owned them long before they went completely berserk and STARTED SHOCKING HER HEAD rather than playing music. Electricity was literally jumping from the speaker through the paper-thin foam straight to her ears.

Where did she get these? This sounds like the perfect stocking stuffer I can hand out here at work to certain people.

villain88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages villain88

I worked at Walgreens for 5 years. We sold Coby products, particularly mp3 players, etc. I've seen the quality of build from Coby. I would never buy their product after my experiences. These are cheap, pathetically crafted plastic garbage. Fair warning. /rant

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
gak0090 wrote:Coby- a well respected name in high- end electronics. Their tablets with high quality resistive touch and Parkinson's type response put even the IPAD to shame. Don't be a no-bee, just buy Coby.

What are you talking about ?

jgarcia408

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jgarcia408

Although $100 more, I would recommend looking at the Vizio E3D470VX tv if you are looking for an "inexpensive" 3d tv. I have one and its great. It uses passive 3d glasses instead of active shutter, which I personally prefer. Its also a smart tv so you have a good amount of internet apps on it. Just a thought for those looking to get a 3D tv.

We actually like ours so much we went out and got the 32" version for out room.

gak0090

gusvonpooch wrote:What are you talking about ?

You didn't catch the sarcasm?

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
gak0090 wrote:You didn't catch the sarcasm?

Guess when I saw "Parkinson's" I figured he/she could not think that was funny,seems I was wrong.

gak0090

jmbunkin wrote:Guess when I saw "Parkinson's" I figured he/she could not think that was funny,seems I was wrong.

Yeah, sometimes I dabble in the gray on the political correctness.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Coby? I've heard a lot of people have a beef with them.

[duck]

RetiredGuru

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RetiredGuru

I foolishly tried a Coby for an inexpensive HDTV for my office earlier this year. What a POC! The sound was terrible, it wouldn't program for my DIRECTV remote, and the picture went out in about 4 months. The warranty was 3 months. Total loss. Be aware - spend another #100 and get a VISIO or something else. This TV isn't vey bright, and 3D requires about double th brightness to work as the glasses cut it back down by almost 50% I would guess this only would give you watachable 3D in a dark room!

Also, a previous post reccomended some 3D glasses or other, and said "they work with any 3D TV". That isn't possible as there are two distinct - and non compatible - 3D systems out there.

Nyfkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nyfkin

it finally arrived. The picture looks good. Cant test the 3d yet, but the audio SUCKS!!! sounds like a cheap am radio.

Devedander

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Devedander
Nyfkin wrote:it finally arrived. The picture looks good. Cant test the 3d yet, but the audio SUCKS!!! sounds like a cheap am radio.

Did you ever get to try the 3d?