jeffaudyssey

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jeffaudyssey
puzzling1 wrote:It is not a value when a company does not stand behind their product. All of us who buy from woot are looking for value. Lemons happen. It's how a company responds to those lemons that determine whether they get my money. So far, Audyssey is not getting any of mine.

Did you purchase this product?

hsilva3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hsilva3
jeffaudyssey wrote:Did you purchase this product?

I bought a few of these the last time they were Woot, but I haven't opened them yet.

Do you know if the bad batch had a certain serial number series or a batch number that can be seen on the packaging or are they random? I really don't want to have to open them up because they were supposed to be gifts.

judylynn57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages judylynn57

I also bought these last month, but the left speaker didn't work. A LOT of people had this same problem. I'm sending mine back, and asking for a refund.

prg336

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prg336

I like the built-in stands on this speaker

prg336

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prg336
hsilva3 wrote:I bought a few of these the last time they were Woot, but I haven't opened them yet.

Do you know if the bad batch had a certain serial number series or a batch number that can be seen on the packaging or are they random? I really don't want to have to open them up because they were supposed to be gifts.

Hi, no we have not experienced any specific batch of issues on this speaker. Understand that there are a LOT of these going into the market and the rate coming back is VERY low. If you experience an issue we will resolve it for you.

puzzling1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puzzling1
jeffaudyssey wrote:Did you purchase this product?

No, I did not purchase this product. Before today, never even heard of Audyssey. I was just looking at how your company's representatives respond to posts and/or previous customers (including the removal of, imo, a post with legitimate questions). Having a company post on a forum about their product is a two-edged sword. The company can rah-rah and provide good information; but the company can also be questioned by unhappy previous customers. How a company responds is then up for scrutiny.

jeffaudyssey

puzzling1 wrote:No, I did not purchase this product. Before today, never even heard of Audyssey. I was just looking at how your company's representatives respond to posts and/or previous customers (including the removal of, imo, a post with legitimate questions). Having a company post on a forum about their product is a two-edged sword. The company can rah-rah and provide good information; but the company can also be questioned by unhappy previous customers. How a company responds is then up for scrutiny.

Thanks for your comments. we want our customers to be happy and if an issue occurs, we will work to resolve promptly.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

Anyone know if these come with room correction capability? either via mic or some peecee software?

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

I also have that auto-shutoff feature every day around lunch. I need to be manually restarted.

Will these speakers go to 11?

jeffaudyssey

lwang wrote:Anyone know if these come with room correction capability? either via mic or some peecee software?

They don't by themselves as whats in the box, but can be via our Pro aftermarket EQ systems, as well as with specific models with that capability from AV receiver partners like Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, MacIntosh, etc..

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

redstang

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang
charliecarroll wrote:I purchased these last time and have not even set them up yet so I can't say how well I like them. How lazy is that?

Hopefully by the next offer and I am sure there will be I will be able to give a valid critique.

Hilarious - I am in the exact same boat. After seeing them for sale again I realized how lazy I've been having not even opened the box yet. Guess that proves that I didn't need them that bad but they looked like such a great deal I couldn't pass them up.

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

redstang

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang
ssratracer wrote:How power hungry is a pair of idle speakers?

The answer there is infinitesimal (as show by the previous poster who beat me to the punch with his Kill A Watt), which makes the auto shut-off dumb and unnecessary.

I should add that it didn't stop me from buying them as I will use them on a desk with a computer, however it does limit how I might use them in the future.

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

jonnyreno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonnyreno

I got these last time and am pretty impressed. For the size and price, they really sound amazing.

I wouldn't recommend them for uses they weren't intended for, such as main speakers in a living room, but as desktop speakers, I can't imagine finding anything better in this price range. I've got a pair of M-Audio AV-40s at work, which definitely sound more "even" (flatter response), but they're more expensive, and not everybody actually likes flat sound (my coworkers think they sound boring). I've also used Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s, which probably beat the Audysseys in overall quality, but it kind of comes down to preference, and I don't happen to have room near my computer desk for a sub.

The Audysseys certainly aren't accurate the way a pair of studio monitors are, but they sound fine for entertainment. Bass response is pretty surprising, considering the size of the cabinets. If they were hidden out of view, and I was hearing them for the first time, I'd swear there was a sub hooked up (and I've heard many "budget" 2.1 systems that have much worse bass). Mids are recessed, and highs are a little sparkly, but that's just because I'm used to listening to monitor headphones.

As desktop speakers, they're fantastic, and I like the auto shutoff feature. I certainly wouldn't mind an auto-on function, but given the choice, I'd go with pressing a button to turn them on rather than needing to turn them on and off each time I use them. Of course, everyone's setup will be different, and if you don't have a desk where they sit right in front of you, you probably won't want to get up each time they shut off.

One thing to keep in mind: the optical input produces noticeably better sound than the analog input (this is almost universally true in non-hi-fi gear, so it shouldn't be a surprise). I was hoping to use an analog out from my DAC, but found it much better to use the optical out directly from my sound card. Luckily, I also have a coax digital out on my PC, so this wasn't an issue, but keep it in mind if you're running multiple audio devices.

tucker5513

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tucker5513

I missed out on these last time around and was upset. Now... I'm not sure. Part of me wants to go for it, but a slightly bigger part is loathe to part with eighty dollars for what doesn't seem to be a sure thing.

jimaudyssey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jimaudyssey
lwang wrote:Anyone know if these come with room correction capability? either via mic or some peecee software?

They come with Audyssey EQ built in. It is a pre-set version of our award-winning MultEQ technology. We based the settings on an average room and, of course, the speakers themselves. We also used Audyssey Dynamic EQ, so it sounds great at every volume and Audyssey BassXT, which means it can reproduce those really low notes without a sub.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen

Attention Audyssey!
Will someone explain why the replacement speakers to me appear to be used.
Here are the issues.
1. You returned my original power supply and it appears to be untouched and untested.
2. one speaker has a serial number that doesn't match the serial nyumber on box
3. One speaker is scuffed up and missing any serial numeber.
Again, they do not seem to be new replacement speakers and I am also out the return shipping to Audyssey.

audysseycin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages audysseycin
jiggersgreen wrote:Attention Audyssey!
Will someone explain why the replacement speakers to me appear to be used.
Here are the issues.
1. You returned my original power supply and it appears to be untouched and untested.
2. one speaker has a serial number that doesn't match the serial nyumber on box
3. One speaker is scuffed up and missing any serial numeber.
Again, they do not seem to be new replacement speakers and I am also out the return shipping to Audyssey.

It is possible that the replacement speakers were returned to you in the same box your original pair came in. I would like to look into your specific case to see exactly what happened, and make sure you're equipped with a new pair of speakers - just as you purchased. Please contact me directly at ctrudeau@audyssey.com so we can take care of this.

tgeexx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgeexx

I love these speakers! Amazing sound and they look nice too.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
jimaudyssey wrote:They come with Audyssey EQ built in. It is a pre-set version of our award-winning MultEQ technology. We based the settings on an average room and, of course, the speakers themselves. We also used Audyssey Dynamic EQ, so it sounds great at every volume and Audyssey BassXT, which means it can reproduce those really low notes without a sub.

does that mean speaker/line level input gets converted to digital and goes thru the dynamic EQ? Or is the dynamic EQ some analog limiter of some sort?

built in audyssey EQ doesn't correct for room modes.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen
audysseycin wrote:It is possible that the replacement speakers were returned to you in the same box your original pair came in. I would like to look into your specific case to see exactly what happened, and make sure you're equipped with a new pair of speakers - just as you purchased. Please contact me directly at ctrudeau@audyssey.com so we can take care of this.

Thanks Cindy. I got your email. Too further hedge my bet I did purchace a second pair today. I do like these speakers and hope I can eventually wind up with two working pairs. I appreciate the attention you've given to this matter.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx
ssratracer wrote:How power hungry is a pair of idle speakers?

In the case of these speakers, about five watts. Not power hungry enough to justify the auto-off, in my opinion. A typical CFL bulb (which are the energy saving kind, mind you) uses about two and a half to five times that much power.

jimaudyssey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jimaudyssey
lwang wrote:does that mean speaker/line level input gets converted to digital and goes thru the dynamic EQ? Or is the dynamic EQ some analog limiter of some sort?

built in audyssey EQ doesn't correct for room modes.

You are correct, built in Audyssey EQ doesn't correct for room modes, but we think we did a pretty good job of it. You can get total customization for your room with an AVR featuring MultEQ and getting separate speakers.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is no mere limiter, it is one of my favorite technologies saving my ears. I used to listen to everything cranked up to hear everything in the music, but now I get to hear it all at modest levels as Dynamic EQ perfects the tonal balance at every volume level. It is awesome. More info on Dynamic EQ can be found here: http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/dynamic-eq

mlac001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlac001
audysseycin wrote:They are supplied directly from Audyssey to our fulfillment partner.

Cindy and the rest at Audyssey,

First: thank you quick responses once these issues were pointed out in this thread.

While I agree with you that your warranty policy is comparable to other companies, I (like someone else said too) feel that DOA is not the same as "warranty", especially since it's being sent direct from you, not a reseller.

However, I *AM* happy to see that your team is trying to make right all the issues from the first batch (especially with regard to replacing with a NEW unit, not repaired).

If DOA's are being replaced with new units, but paying the shipping back to you is required, then so be it. It's still a great deal for the speakers, and you've made it clear that that's the policy for anyone who wants to buy them from Woot.....something that may have been unclear on the last sale.

Although not "ideal", since most internet sellers usually pay for the shipping both ways, in reality it's no different than if you drive 30 miles to a store to buy something, and find out its defective.....the store doesn't pay you for your gas money both ways. The difference is that the store usually replaces it immediately with equivalent kind (ie-new for new), which Audyssey has stated that they will do as well.....which is why I personally feel better with the deal now.

Not trying to beat a dead horse. I actually appreciate the Audyssey team stepping up and acknowledging the issue, and it seems like they're trying to rectify any issues and try easing the minds of those that were reluctant about purchasing the speakers following last woot's thread.

8steve8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 8steve8

I got 2 the last time these were on woot.

excited because they had an spdif input, compact design, and apparently good quality sound.

receipt for my payment to woot: oct 12
order confirmation: oct 12
shipment notification: oct 17
on oct 30th I started wondering where my speakers were (they never arrived) so i checked the tracking number in the shipment notification email from woot... no data there.. I called fedex and they said they never got the package.

first msg to woot support: oct 30
(explaining that one is a gift to a friend who is moving in a few days, and I need an update asap)

no response.
second msg to woot support: nov 5
(suggesting they should overnight me the items asap for free)
full refund from woot: nov 6
first reply from woot: nov 6

the message I got said that the item was lost between the shipping dock and the fedex truck... "Unfortunately, we have no replacements available."
I was given no credit or anything to compensate my bad experience.

(that was today)... guess what today's tech woot deal is?

just passing on my experience.

rollick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rollick

My question for Audessey is, what specifically is wrong with most of the defective units? Unless quality control is just awful, I assume the problem is limited to one or a few areas.

I don't really expect an answer to this question, but I would like some reassurance that, whatever the problem is, it's not something that will cause even speakers that work at first to fail in the not too distant future.

I would really like to take a chance on what appear to be really nice small speakers, but I fear that there may be some basic design flaw that will eventually keep causing problems until a year has elapsed and we're stuck.

stephenaedwards

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stephenaedwards

Got 'em last time around and am very pleased with the sound, bass volume, treble clarity, controls, etc. I don't understand the concern people have about the auto-shut off. I listen to mine on my desk and it's actually very nice to have a power/volume control quite so handy. I have to turn on the monitor for my computer; turning on the speakers is little additional effort.

One word of warning: don't let things touch them when they're operating: they will rattle if in contact with something else (not a problem if they're just sitting on a desk as intended).

garyoa1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages garyoa1

Got an rma for these the last time. Been a couple weeks and I'm still waiting for a refund.

And ordered a knife sharpener around the same time. Supposedly new but... open box. Things sure have changed around here.

Wudooeyeno?

gregfish43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregfish43
jeff audyssey wrote:Thanks for the comments. We offer a one year warranty on defective products. We pay the return shipping back to you. The actual issues experienced were a very small percentage of the volume. We have also beefed up our CS to support this event.

No support was even offered last time!

gregfish43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregfish43

I purchased these speakers last time they were at Woot and received a bad set . Audyssey had no customer support what so ever. Audyssey never returned my calls, they also never responded to my emails. Audyssey showed my RMA request as resolved on their on web site when in fact that no contact was ever made or any resolution was ever offered to me . At Audyssey's forms they erased all posts that had any negative comments or issues regarding these speakers. BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK !

ULUL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ULUL

I pick up a fair bit of merchandise from Woot. I've never seen one item with so many negative feedback on customer service by any company on Woot. This is unfortunate.

That said, I am curious how these will sound AB against the Bose Companion 20 which is only one driver but is a remarkably excellent performer for the size.

ULUL

gregfish43 wrote:I purchased these speakers last time they were at Woot and received a bad set . Audyssey had no customer support what so ever. Audyssey never returned my calls, they also never responded to my emails. Audyssey showed my RMA request as resolved on their on web site when in fact that no contact was ever made or any resolution was ever offered to me . At Audyssey's forms they erased all posts that had any negative comments or issues regarding these speakers. BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK !

topshelf7777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topshelf7777

The speakers are fantastic!! The tone here is misleading. Look at the positive user comments on Apple and Amazon. You will be very happy!

eggrob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eggrob

Bought them last time. Have only used the miniplug in (not optical) but they sound fantastic.

If you are looking for high end computer speakers, they're right here. Buy them.

gravytrain1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gravytrain1

For anyone wondering if the stands can be removed for wall hanging, the answer is no not easily.

iceiso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iceiso

Here is my experience, I am just reposting my posts from the previous deal:

---------------------

I received them today. To make a long story short, I plugged them in and NO POWER! Neither the red standby or green power light are illuminated. I tried a different power outlet, STILL NO POWER. Is anyone else having this problem? Jim, do I have to pack this thing up and return it now?

---------------------

I just tried another 7A/125V "two prong" outlet-to-powerbrick wire. Still no dice.

---------------------

My concern with going through Woot is that there will be no replacements and we'll be left with nothing.

My concern with going through Audyssey is what we'll potentially pay through shipping charges, use of refurbished parts, or other hassles involved with warranty fulfillment. Also, reviews on Amazon regarding their customer service aren't exactly stellar. I hope though that these are just attributed to the sampling bias of disgruntled customers and aren't indicative of the company as a whole.

---------------------

I e-mailed both Woot and Audyssey as well.

Woot provided me with an RMA but there are no replacements in stock, so I would have to eat the shipping costs.

Audyssey replied yesterday morning with a generic response (one day after initial inquiry), poor spelling abound, saying that they were looking into my case. The e-mail address includes a ".de", indicating a German domain. I received nothing further so I replied to our e-mail thread last night requesting an update. No response as of now. Time differences would suggest that close to two full business days have passed without their disposition (it's 9:55 AM EST as I write this).

I may cut my losses and just return these to Woot if I do not hear back from Audyssey soon. Judging by the number of issues, there is not much assurance that replacements from Audyssey will be in proper working condition. While absorbing return shipping costs is not the difference between caviar and Ramen, I do not agree with the principle. I understand that it is part of the Policy, but why should it be the responsibility of the customer to bear the costs of *something* when they are left with nothing?

---------------------

I received my RMA number and shipped the speakers from MD to CA, costing me ~$25 through UPS ground. Great...

Several days after my tracking number indicated a received shipment, I asked Cindy @ Audyssey what rework was required. She told me that the power-brick was faulty. They replaced it, tested the system, and it was on its way back.

I received the speakers about a week and a half after shipping them off to Audyssey. I plugged them in and instantly noticed a loud static coming from the left speaker. The static would start off quietly, then ascend in volume, regardless of where the volume knob was turned. The static disappeared when I switched the units into standby. I tried isolating the speaker wire to avoid interference to no avail.

Oddly enough, I unplugged the unit and replugged it into the same outlet, and the static went away. Weird...

I bought these for the purpose of getting better sound from my plasma TV. I live in an apartment and needed a compact solution. They are connected via optical cable. Sound quality notwithstanding, these will not do, since I cannot control the volume using the remote from my TV. These are not the fault of the speakers, but it is a consideration for those looking for a similar setup.

The hassle and additional absorbed cost of dealing with this bad batch added about 2 weeks and 25% cost. This will likely be the last time I purchase electronics from Woot. Buyer beware.

daltonbach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daltonbach

Ordered on the 6th, still "awaiting shipment" status on woot. Maybe ill get it before christmas. Bought on 11-6-12

NoPecsNoSex

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
daltonbach wrote:Ordered on the 6th, still "awaiting shipment" status on woot. Maybe ill get it before christmas. Bought on 11-6-12

Hi there!
Please allow up to five business days for processing and shipping. If after that, there's still no movement, please contact support@woot.com with your order number and any questions you may need answered.

I'm just hanging out, really.

iceiso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iceiso
daltonbach wrote:Ordered on the 6th, still "awaiting shipment" status on woot. Maybe ill get it before christmas. Bought on 11-6-12

I, and others, ran into the same problem last time. It ended up that the system was slow to update, and many of the units had already been shipped out despite what the status indicated. I actually received my speakers before my order was even updated with a tracking number!

linkdude64

quality posts: 7 Private Messages linkdude64
iceiso wrote:I, and others, ran into the same problem last time. It ended up that the system was slow to update, and many of the units had already been shipped out despite what the status indicated. I actually received my speakers before my order was even updated with a tracking number!

Thanks for pointing this out, and thanks for giving your write up above. Makes me scared about getting my speakers and having to ship them around everywhere. I'm a broke college student, I don't have the time or money to spare...fingers and toes crossed.

Sati

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sati

Ship, ship, SHIP! I am so anxious to get these :-)

vwtick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vwtick

I got mine today but my order status is still awaiting shipping, guess because of the drop shipping.
I got them as an xmas present for my wife but because of the bad press on the forums I immediately opened them up and used analog connection to test them.
They sound great!!
The bass response kind of flattens out as you go louder and they don't go terribly loud, but even at full volume they sound great.
They will be used in my wifes office and she doesn't get a lot of opportunities to crank the volume so they are perfect for the application.
She had been complaining about the bass on her current set and I offered to get her a 2.1 set but she doesn't want a sub so these are perfect.
They are a little bigger then I expected but I think she will have room for them.
Just wanted to post a positive experience since we've heard a lot from the folks that had issues, deservedly so, but as Jeff from Audyssey pointed out, they shipped a ton of these and the bad ones represent a small percentage.

long haired freaky hippy geek