exillinimj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exillinimj
ntle wrote:Got these little babies last time, love them!

Me too. GREAT speakers - was a little concerned about the auto shut-off feature, but it has not been an issue.

ssratracer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssratracer

How power hungry is a pair of idle speakers?

jeffaudyssey

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jeffaudyssey

Just to give the community a little background here, Audyssey is an audio R&D company which has been licensing technology for over a decade. The company is used in over 75% of the AV receivers on the market including Mac Intosh, Denon, and Onkyo. We do work with Land Rover, Jaguar and Audi, and also the EQ for numerous Imax theaters. we took a lot of what we learned and put it into our products. One feature that purchasers of this product will enjoy is Bass XT, which actually controls the driver performance. not a bass boost like commonly seen, but actually monitors the signal and controls the driver excursion producing deeper bass than could possibly be seen from a cabinet this small.

jeffaudyssey

Yes, surprised by some of these comments. When we did our research on the design, the vast majority of respondents appreciated the energy savings feature. The sound quality will be appreciated, especially if you utilize the optical input.

exillinimj wrote:Me too. GREAT speakers - was a little concerned about the auto shut-off feature, but it has not been an issue.

Kirk2out

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kirk2out

Kirk2out wrote:"Underwhelming" is my word of choice for these speakers." I just hooked up the pair I bought in the recent Woot-off and found them to have inadequate bass response, much less than the (perpetually in the shop) Avid AV-30s, and only a little more than garden variety $20 standard computer speakers. They have OK highs and fairly clear sound, but overall disappointing, and way overpriced.

topshelf7777 wrote:Honestly this is a ridiculous comment. I have these and they are fabulous with plenty of deep bass. Did you use the optical input and cable? Howm many garden speakers have optical inputs so you can use it with apple TV and create a wireless speaker?? Huge difference in sound quality. Overpriced at $79.99???? I'd like to see you come up with anything remotely close to the performance of this at anywhere near the price.

I haven't tried the optical input, and will, but I don't have optical on my 2-year-old laptop and that's mainly where I will use them. I don't have too many points of comparison, except for lots of cheap computer speakers and the Avid AV-30s and AV-40s, and the Audyssey are much closer to cheap computer speakers. Maybe I got a bad set? Main problem, and it's very obvious, is the lack of bass response.

BTW, I have something "remotely close" sitting right on my desk, the Avid AV-30s, and they basically cost the same as these, and they blow these away. So, I'll go on making "ridiculous comments." Morning to you, too.

chezteladog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chezteladog

I got them on the last woot off. They do sound nice for computer speakers. I listen to my 5.1 system every day so I can't rave about the sound as others do here because they sound a little thin compared to that. For the money they sound very nice. They are not ear drum bursting loud but they are adequate for my general computer music listening. The auto shut off hasn't been a problem at all. Even if there is no music playing the sounds of the computer keep the speakers awake. I've had to turn them back on a few times but each time I've actually enjoyed the autoshut off because I recognize that I've been saving electricity in the amount of time since I stopped listening, walked away, and came back. In fact it saves me from having to shut them off every time I get up or leave my computer for a while. It's a useful feature for me. The bass is pretty good for no sub. It's not going to compress your chest but for $80 bucks the build quality is great, the sound is very good, no extra cables and footprint of a sub. It's a good buy in my opinion. And now I have to rush to get ready for work. Why do I do this to myself?

canisdirus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages canisdirus
dandutra wrote:Has anyone who picked up a pair last time figured out a work around to get them powered up with 220v [overseas]?

A simple power converter is all you will need.

mlac001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlac001

Jeff and Audyssey,

No offense, but how about addressing the QC issues from the last Woot sale rather than just posting sales pitches to sell a product that otherwise has great reviews from the majority of owners.

A simple google search provides more than enough feedback and reviews into the product and company, however no one from Audyssey has made a reply regarding all the apparent defective units from the last sale.

Although no other sites gave bad feedback regarding the quality, it seems odd that so many wooters had a problem with their units.

Your first post in this discussion said you're here to answer questions, yet no one from audyssey has posted regarding the QC issues.

jeffaudyssey

What issue would you like addressed?[

quote postid="5232069" user="mlac001"]Jeff and Audyssey,

No offense, but how about addressing the QC issues from the last Woot sale rather than just posting sales pitches to sell a product that otherwise has great reviews from the majority of owners.

A simple google search provides more than enough feedback and reviews into the product and company, however no one from Audyssey has made a reply regarding all the apparent defective units from the last sale.

Although no other sites gave bad feedback regarding the quality, it seems odd that so many wooters had a problem with their units.

Your first post in this discussion said you're here to answer questions, yet no one from audyssey has posted regarding the QC issues.[/quote]

vwtick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vwtick

I'm with malc001 here. I was on the fence last time and this time I had already placed an order so shipping was free and my wife has been complaining about her speakers at work but she does not want a 2.1 setup.
These seemed like the perfect solution although more then I wanted to spend and then I see all these comments about DOA and static on the last sale.
My wife would not stand for any static so now I am hesitant.
I'll keep an eye on this thread and make my purchase decision based on the response of Woot and/or Audyssey.
I really don't want to pay for return shipping for a defective pair of speakers.
Thanks

long haired freaky hippy geek

mlac001

jeffaudyssey wrote:What issue would you like addressed?

There's a big thread from the last woot....the complaints start on page 4: http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5201340

But, the issues mentioned all centered around units Defective on Arrival, including: powers on but no sound, has sound but is static, has sound but turns off after only a couple minutes (not auto shut-off).

On top of that, it seemed like many people got no response from Audyssey after trying to contact them regarding the issues.

Then, if they did get a response, they had to pay for shipping back for a unit that was DOA.

At last update, it seemed that most people are still awaiting a refund/replacement.

Except for one person, who got a replacement but stated that their brand new DOA unit was replaced with a visibly used/refurb unit.

Obviously this is an internet forum with only one side to the story, however no one from Audyssey even replied to any of the complaints in that thread.

I haven't bought the unit myself yet....I actually had just missed it. I'm ready to buy, but I'm waiting (like others I'm sure), to see how Audyssey is handling the issues from the last Woot sale

DJMobius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DJMobius

I too am a little apprehensive on ordering these with the problems people have been reporting with DOA speakers.

The correct PR move would be to address this in the forums. Especially if this is holding people back from purchasing. This gives you an opportunity to offer some sort of explanation or even a way to easily return dead speakers.

This reminds me of a mini "Red Ring of Death" type of scenario.

jeffaudyssey

mlac001 wrote:There's a big thread from the last woot....the complaints start on page 4: http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5201340

But, the issues mentioned all centered around units Defective on Arrival, including: powers on but no sound, has sound but is static, has sound but turns off after only a couple minutes (not auto shut-off).

On top of that, it seemed like many people got no response from Audyssey after trying to contact them regarding the issues.

Then, if they did get a response, they had to pay for shipping back for a unit that was DOA.

At last update, it seemed that most people are still awaiting a refund/replacement.

Except for one person, who got a replacement but stated that their brand new DOA unit was replaced with a visibly used/refurb unit.

Obviously this is an internet forum with only one side to the story, however no one from Audyssey even replied to any of the complaints in that thread.

I haven't bought the unit myself yet....I actually had just missed it. I'm ready to but, but I'm waiting (like others I'm sure), to see how Audyssey is handling the issues from the last Woot sale

Thanks for the comments. We offer a one year warranty on defective products. We pay the return shipping back to you. The actual issues experienced were a very small percentage of the volume. We have also beefed up our CS to support this event.

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex

I got a pair of these last time they wooted and they are great except for a seriously crippling flaw:

They turn themselves off after 30 minutes of no sound, and they do NOT turn back on when you play sound again... that's right, you have to MANUALLY turn them on every time they shut off, which can be 8 to 10 times a day if you use your computer intermittently like I do. It sounds like a minor issue, but in reality it's very tiresome to have to constantly turn speakers back on. This "feature" (flaw in my opinion) is something I've never encountered on other speakers.

Speakers should be intuitive in the extreme, as in: You plug them in and that's the last time you mess with them. Having to turn them on every time you want to use them is a major inhibition to the traditionally ultra-simple user interface of every other speaker in existence. Turn on the device, the speakers turn on with it and you never think about it again. But not with these!

I would not buy these again because of this.

On the good side, they do provide great sound for desktop speakers.

Until audyssey corrects the auto-off "feature" these speakers can't really be recommended as a good purchase in my opinion. BTW, they call it "auto sleep" but it's not sleep because they never wake up... it's auto-OFF.

audysseycin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages audysseycin
dandutra wrote:Has anyone who picked up a pair last time figured out a work around to get them powered up with 220v [overseas]?

Since this deal is in the US the speakers are equipped with a 110V power supply. For use overseas a step-down transformer is needed.

jeffaudyssey

molex wrote:I got a pair of these last time they wooted and they are great except for a seriously crippling flaw:

They turn themselves off after 30 minutes of no sound, and they do NOT turn back on when you play sound again... that's right, you have to MANUALLY turn them on every time they shut off, which can be 8 to 10 times a day if you use your computer intermittently like I do. It sounds like a minor issue, but in reality it's very tiresome to have to constantly turn speakers back on. This "feature" (flaw in my opinion) is something I've never encountered on other speakers.

Speakers should be intuitive in the extreme, as in: You plug them in and that's the last time you mess with them. Having to turn them on every time you want to use them is a major inhibition to the traditionally ultra-simple user interface of every other speaker in existence. Turn on the device, the speakers turn on with it and you never think about it again. But not with these!

I would not buy these again because of this.

On the good side, they do provide great sound for desktop speakers.

Until audyssey corrects the auto-off "feature" these speakers can't really be recommended as a good purchase in my opinion. BTW, they call it "auto sleep" but it's not sleep because they never wake up... it's auto-OFF.

I suppose it all how you use the speakers. As I commented earlier, the feedback we have received to date has the vast majority of users very happy with the speakers and do not see this feature as a negative.

audysseycin

DJMobius wrote:I too am a little apprehensive on ordering these with the problems people have been reporting with DOA speakers.

The correct PR move would be to address this in the forums. Especially if this is holding people back from purchasing. This gives you an opportunity to offer some sort of explanation or even a way to easily return dead speakers.

This reminds me of a mini "Red Ring of Death" type of scenario.

Cindy here with Audyssey...
Please keep in mind that the number of DOA units was very low in comparison to the number of units sold during the last run on Woot. The percentage of happy customers is much larger.

However, if for any reason your speakers have any problems upon receipt you may contact me directly at ctrudeau@audyssey.com and I'll help you out.

AlibiFarmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlibiFarmer

I bought a set the last time they were here, and am delighted with them. They don't pump out a lot of volume, so they wouldn't be good for home theater, but they are clear and have good bass as well as the high notes.

molex

rsinger1 wrote:For the amount of power that it is (hopefully) saving, I gladly push a button to turn them on before use. I think people are being a little ridiculous.

You have admitted you don't have any idea how much, if ANY, power is being saved by the auto-off feature, but it sounds like a good idea so it must BE a good idea, right?

The thing is, the amount of energy saved by the auto-off "feature" might be significant... or it might be nothing at all. But the inconvenience of having to turn these speakers on 8 to 10 times a day is definitely real.

So instead of posturing about how much power you're (maybe, you don't know, could be some could be none ) saving how about dealing with reality: Speakers should be on when you want them to make sound, which is conceivably any time that the device they're connected to is on. So the speakers themselves should be on too.

If there's going to be an auto-SLEEP function, that makes sense... they go to sleep after 30 minutes, and then the instant sound is routed to them they automatically turn back on.

But manually having to turn them on is actually the thing that's ridiculous. Not the REALITY of the inconvenience of it vs. the pennies a year in energy savings you MIGHT be getting.

icestorm874

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icestorm874

Are these the new version with a 2 hour auto shut off instead of 30 minutes?

molex

icestorm874 wrote:Are these the new version with a 2 hour auto shut off instead of 30 minutes?

30 minute on these I believe, that's why they're dumping them so cheap on woot. 2 hour is better, but I still think that if this is going to be a feature at all (it shouldn't be) at least make it a true sleep mode... auto-off and auto-on.

audysseycin

In response to some questions about Audyssey's warranty...

The Media Speakers come with a 1-year warranty, parts and labor covered. Our warranty process is in line with our competitors. Customers are responsible for shipping the speakers to us by their choice of shipping method (regular mail is fine). Upon receipt we will evaluate the speakers for repair or replacement, and a working pair is shipped back by FedEx.

Full warranty terms can be found here on our website: http://www.audyssey.com/about/purchase-terms

leyet101

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leyet101

I have a pair of these and Audyssey's Airplay Speaker. Both have amazing sound and build quality. I'm considering buying another pair as a gift.

wandernace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wandernace

My speakers came DOA from the last Woot offer and I am still waiting for my replacement pair from Audyssey. I hope I don't get a used pair of speakers back...

specialbuddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages specialbuddy
molex wrote:You have admitted you don't have any idea how much, if ANY, power is being saved by the auto-off feature, but it sounds like a good idea so it must BE a good idea, right?

The thing is, the amount of energy saved by the auto-off "feature" might be significant... or it might be nothing at all. But the inconvenience of having to turn these speakers on 8 to 10 times a day is definitely real.

So instead of posturing about how much power you're (maybe, you don't know, could be some could be none ) saving how about dealing with reality: Speakers should be on when you want them to make sound, which is conceivably any time that the device they're connected to is on. So the speakers themselves should be on too.

If there's going to be an auto-SLEEP function, that makes sense... they go to sleep after 30 minutes, and then the instant sound is routed to them they automatically turn back on.

But manually having to turn them on is actually the thing that's ridiculous. Not the REALITY of the inconvenience of it vs. the pennies a year in energy savings you MIGHT be getting.

I have an older stereo and a kill-a-watt and when I tested it, it was 17 watts while powered off. 17 watts is very high for being off(monitor is usually 1-2 off) and tt was quite a bit higher when it was on. Point is, it might actually be drawing more power then you think. It could test mine tonight but by then it wouldn't matter. I actually like the feature because I hate wasting energy. My wife would leave the stereo on and now I don't have to worry about it because she just uses these speakers with the laptop or iphone. I'm pretty happy with them so far but I usually only use nice headphones/earbuds and don't have much experience with speakers.

audysseycin

wandernace wrote:My speakers came DOA from the last Woot offer and I am still waiting for my replacement pair from Audyssey. I hope I don't get a used pair of speakers back...

Under warranty, new speakers will be sent back if a replacement is required. In some cases we are able to repair the speakers. In both cases, they are fully tested before sent back to you.

For status on your specific RMA you may contact me directly at ctrudeau@audyssey.com.

tabazlover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tabazlover

Mine just died, rarely been used, sporadically at best. I don't think it is right that I should pay for shipping to fix them and get refurbished unit at best. This is my first time posting on woot and woot should rectify those owners. Thanks!

jeffaudyssey wrote:What issue would you like addressed?[

quote postid="5232069" user="mlac001"]Jeff and Audyssey,

Your first post in this discussion said you're here to answer questions, yet no one from audyssey has posted regarding the QC issues.

[/quote]

ezetsnd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ezetsnd

Love these little speakers. Bought them on the last Woot. Was looking at soundbars for my 32" TV I got off Woot. I decided on these for my TV instead. These fill a decent size living room with enough sound for my setup, plenty of bass. My friends come over and think I have a much bigger system when they hear the quality of sound coming out of my TV but I just point to the LES speakers on the floor. The design is pretty sharp too.

wandernace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wandernace
audysseycin wrote:Under warranty, new speakers will be sent back if a replacement is required. In some cases we are able to repair the speakers. In both cases, they are fully tested before sent back to you.

For status on your specific RMA you may contact me directly at ctrudeau@audyssey.com.

Hi, thanks for the reply. You are actually the one helping me now with the RMA process.

FYI, I just sent an email earlier today inquring about the status of the RMA.

evilbeard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilbeard

I'd been wanting these for awhile and purchased them the last time they were up for sale.

Color me one of those that is very happy with their style and sound.

mlac001

quick question: do these come from Audyssey or from a reseller??

superbotman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages superbotman
cmacclel wrote:I'm not impressed either. The sound quality is ok but they don't get loud and if your used to a 2:1 system with a sub you can forget about these...

This.

I bought these to replace my existing desktop speakers I got on amazon for about 45 bucks, and these things don't even compare.

Yes, the bass is impressive compared to what my phone puts out, but compared to any other sound system I own it's piddley.

They also just don't get very loud. If your plans ever involve the phrase "crank up the tunes", you best move along.

I have them sitting by my bedside, to play me enya while I sleep. They work wonderful for that.

RonNation

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RonNation

Cindy if you are replacing a DOA set up speakers its not a WARRANTY situation it is a DOA situation. You should be paying the return shipping for every DOA speaker you sell. Really bad CS otherwise.

audysseycin

tabazlover wrote:Mine just died, rarely been used, sporadically at best. I don't think it is right that I should pay for shipping to fix them and get refurbished unit at best. This is my first time posting on woot and woot should rectify those owners. Thanks!

Should the speakers require replacing a new pair will be issued, not refurbished.

jeffaudyssey

RonNation wrote:Cindy if you are replacing a DOA set up speakers its not a WARRANTY situation it is a DOA situation. You should be paying the return shipping for every DOA speaker you sell. Really bad CS otherwise.

Yes return shipping on DOA is paid for.

audysseycin

mlac001 wrote:quick question: do these come from Audyssey or from a reseller??

They are supplied directly from Audyssey to our fulfillment partner.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 38 Private Messages jiggersgreen
audysseycin wrote:Cindy here with Audyssey...
Please keep in mind that the number of DOA units was very low in comparison to the number of units sold during the last run on Woot. The percentage of happy customers is much larger.

However, if for any reason your speakers have any problems upon receipt you may contact me directly at ctrudeau@audyssey.com and I'll help you out.

Dear Cindy & Jeff
I just purchased my second set again in good faith. The last pair I puchesed were RMA returned to you and I received back what appear to be used speakers. Additionally, I am now out of pocket for the return shipping.
I would appreciate Audyssey sending a NEW working pair this time.

jeffaudyssey

jeffaudyssey wrote:Yes return shipping on DOA is paid for.

to clarify -return shipping back to you.

hsilva3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hsilva3
ssratracer wrote:How power hungry is a pair of idle speakers?

Tested with a Kill-A-Watt P4460 ---

When off - cycles between 0.3 and 0.4 watts,

When on and volume knob is maxed out, but no sound is playing 4.6-4.7 watts.

When sound is playing with the volume knob maxed out when connected to analog, the power fluctuates between 7.7 and 10.2 watts.

NOTE:
Word to those that said that the sound was unimpressive or a let down. Your sound can and is limited when connected to some equipment when using the Optical connection. Through the Optical connected when connected to my TV, the sound was indeed unimpressive, but I connected to my laptop and it was WHOA. The Optical out is treated as a Line-Out and it seems that a number of TVs lock that at a certain level and the resulting output ain't 'all that hot'.

puzzling1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puzzling1
topshelf7777 wrote:Do people realize what a great value this speaker is at $79??

It is not a value when a company does not stand behind their product. All of us who buy from woot are looking for value. Lemons happen. It's how a company responds to those lemons that determine whether they get my money. So far, Audyssey is not getting any of mine.