DragonXman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DragonXman
chakolate wrote:If anyone is still reading, I'd still like an answer to this, for future reference. You can email me, too, at [mod - email removed to prevent naughty spammers]. Thanks.

Most routers have one Internet Ethernet port and four or more normal Ethernet ports. You just have to plug this device into any of the normal ports. If you don,t have any available then a cheap Ethernet switch would do the trick.

Edbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Edbert
hyperz69 wrote:Yes it will work over G, however G maxes at 54 mbit and unless you live in the country your likely not getting anything NEAR that.

I'm on "G" and despite the Mac and PCs saying the connection is 54 I know it is not even close. Fine for surfing/email/games but I always plug into the gig-E for file transfers.

redboy001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redboy001

I own one of the Prime models. You have to have cable service. You can only get the channels you already pay for. Like this other person said you save money by ditching the Cable provider's dvr unit that you rent each month. The cable card is very cheap like $1-2 a month. They also provide you with another box for obtaining standard definition channels off your cable.

This is a pretty good price for a refurbished unit. Sometimes you can find them at a deal around $140.

smigit2002 wrote:Ok, for the confused...
The dual tuner version plays Clear QAM (aka, unencrypted) and ATSC channels. Basically, these are all the local, free channels that you can probably get over the air via antenna, and also tend to be carried by cable provider's lines.
The three tuner version allows you to plug in what's called a CableCard. This allows it to decrypt cable channels. You get a cable card from your cable provider.

So how does it work? You plug in an antenna or your cable into the box, and plug the ethernet into your network. Now any computer on the network can watch TV.
I personally use Windows Media Center on multiple computers around my house. This allows me to watch TV wherever I want, and also doubles as a DVR on my primary computer.
I do not have the cable card version, but basically, the advantage of this is that you are not paying the cable company to rent their cable box. This can save you around $15/month. There is generally a small fee for the cable card, but in the end, it's considerably cheaper, and you have a customizable, upgradable DVR (via your computer).

Anyways, overall, it's a pretty awesome product.

smigit2002

quality posts: 12 Private Messages smigit2002

Baw, I was going to pick up a dual as a spare... oh wells, ya snooze ya loose, I guess

rodalpho

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rodalpho

Remember that this does not plug into your TV. It needs to plug into the coax from your cable provider and your router.

Now if your HTPC only has wifi connectivity, you'll almost certainly be unsatisfied with G, and may be unhappy with N too, unless you live in a rural area or use the 5Ghz band,

queenangelfish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages queenangelfish

I currently have cable TV with a digital dvr box, plus cable internet service. I have a new laptop, and I would like to be able to record TV shows on an external hard drive, and then be able to save favorites to either a DVD or a Blu-Ray disc. I also have a TV tuner in a TV moniter that I can connect to my laptop via hdmi. How can I best achieve recording?
I also have a Tivo (no subscription) and a Sling box on order. Do I need this, too? Help!

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

Thought about it too long,maybe next time

shrapnel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shrapnel
calculon68 wrote:Even with a N-Router, I was never able to get *consistent and reliable* playback of HDHomeRun OTA recordings. If wi-fi is your only connectivity option- I'd pass on the Silicon Dust. (and I've loved my HDHomeRun for over two years)

I've had the HDHomeRun Dual (OTA) for a year or so and it's worked great over wireless G and N. In my case, the tuner is usually the only meaningful traffic on the network when it's in use.

YMMV, I guess. Have a backup plan.

The video client may make a difference, too. I typically use the unixy command-line utilities to tell the box to stream to VLC on a macbook (AKA The Hard Way). I know VLC does some buffering; maybe other software doesn't?

Of course, my OTA signal isn't rock-solid, so I still get the usual TV signal dropout from time to time. Overall it's a touch better than my DTV converter box. Then again, the DTV box has a nice antenna hooked up, and I've only given the HDHomeRun a set of bunny ears.

TheRaven

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven
istrebitjel wrote:Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HO58SO/ - $88.85 - 4.3 stars (2 tuner version)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HKIB6E/ - $160.22 - 4.6 stars (3 tuner version)

There is a HUGE difference between these two HD Tuners besides the fact that the three tuner model has an extra tuner. The HDHomeRun Prime is a Cable Card Tuner also.

What this means is that it will accept a MCard from your cable company and you can then tune in all your cable channels with that model and remove all your set top boxes and DVR's and save you the monthly rental costs of those. On top of that you will have access to three channels at a time on any machines (or media extenders like Xbox's if using Windows Media Center) on your network.

The one being sold here doesn't have cable card capability at all.

jdpman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jdpman
TheRaven wrote:The one being sold here doesn't have cable card capability at all.

I think you might have missed one small detail. Before they sold out, woot had both on sale today. The 2 tuner one for $49 and the 3 tuner for $99. Thats why istrebitjel provided links to both -- both were on sale here. You got to choose which you wanted when you went to pay.

I grabbed a Prime before they sold out. I'm excited about the prospect of ditching Comcast's rental box plus the opportunity to tinker with it somehow to allow streaming to my phone and tablet when I'm on the go. Does anyone know if there's a good reliable app to compress the stream coming from this on-the-fly so devices over the internet can watch live tv (essentially doing the same thing a slingbox does)? I used to use Orb with a tv tuner card in a manner similar to this, but that was years ago. Surely there's a better solution now?

rodalpho

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rodalpho

You can access the hdhomerun remotely if you VPN into your home network, but it is mpeg2 video so it will take up a ton of bandwidth. From what I found on a quick search, you'll need well north of 20 megabits upload for HD video.

The advantage of the slingbox is that it reencodes the video to mpeg-4, which is much more efficient, and can transparently change the bitrate based upon your connection speeds. The HDHR won't do that.

jdpman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jdpman

Yeah I'm just wondering if theres a software solution that could run on your computer acting as a server and reencoding the stream on demand when you want it. As I mentioned, Orb is a piece of software that does this for some tuners, although it doesn't look like the HDHomeRun is supported. Orb has been around for years and their support has dwindled over the years. I'm just wondering if there is a similar solution that's more up to date.. maybe using current encoding techniques like mpeg-4 to take advantage of their obvious benefits.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
jdpman wrote:I'm just wondering if there is a similar solution that's more up to date.. maybe using current encoding techniques like mpeg-4 to take advantage of their obvious benefits.

You can do all this with MythTV (as well as some others, like Plex, etc.) There are hundreds (probably thousands) of forum posts, HOWTOs, etc. about transcoding recordings from MPEG2 to MPEG4 online. Just hit up a search engine with something like 'mythtv transcode hdhomerun' or something similar and you should find plenty of information to keep you busy for a while ;)

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

derelict01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derelict01

received HDHomerun Dual with no CD or documentation. Customer service said 'Sorry. Should have been installation CD.' returned with RMA on 12 Nov. Got replacement 15 Nov without CD or Documentation. Cust. Serv. and Picture show a CD. ?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

derelict01 wrote:received HDHomerun Dual with no CD or documentation. Customer service said 'Sorry. Should have been installation CD.' returned with RMA on 12 Nov. Got replacement 15 Nov without CD or Documentation. Cust. Serv. and Picture show a CD. ?

Member Services has informed me that the documentation/software you'll need can be found here:
http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/downloads/

If you have any further issues, please feel free to email again at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to assist you.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

magicmyth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magicmyth

You can use MythTV backend which allows you to interface Mac

j647 wrote:Not being a smarty pants, but does this work with a mac? Really. I didn't find any OS X software on the SiliconDust site.