WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Asus 10.1" Eee Pad Slider Tablet

Speed to First Woot:
15m 7.779s
First Sucker:
evaluesoftware
Last Wooter to Woot:
jla1987
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 23% of Electronics Woots
Bottom 38% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 23% of Electronics Woots
Top 44% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 12% first woot
  • 6% second woot
  • 32% < 10 woots
  • 23% < 25 woots
  • 27% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 9% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 20% one year old
  • 70% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 95% bought 1
  • 3% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
1%
3%
1%
1%
2%
3%
5%
9%
5%
6%
5%
8%
5%
7%
8%
2%
6%
2%
4%
5%
2%
3%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


peterwu


quality posts: 2 Private Messages peterwu

I can see myself breaking this thing in a week

morriea


quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
peterwu wrote:I can see myself breaking this thing in a week



It is actually QUITE sturdy.

bigjoe87865


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigjoe87865

I think the title should be edited

Asus RSL101-A1 10.10" Eee Pad Slider Tablet, Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) NVIDIA Tegra 2.1GHz, 16GB Storage, Dual Webcams, Slide-out QWERTY Keyboard


it is a tegra 2 at 1ghz, but looks like 2.1ghz

pakopako


quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako

Looks neat, but it's an even bigger compromise between notebook and slate than the Asus Transformer (which winds up being heavier than the Slider if you add the keyboard).

One thing I gotta say, the Slider's ports (even a full-size USB!) are attractive even if the chiclet keyboard and fixed-angle tilt are not.

fmfondeur


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fmfondeur

I think is to much for a first generation Nvidia CPU.
Tegra 3 was released in beginning of 2012, I just couldn't recommend this at the price point.
There are far better options available, with the Nexus 10.1 just right around the corner.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bigjoe87865 wrote:I think the title should be edited

Asus RSL101-A1 10.10" Eee Pad Slider Tablet, Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) NVIDIA Tegra 2.1GHz, 16GB Storage, Dual Webcams, Slide-out QWERTY Keyboard


it is a tegra 2 at 1ghz, but looks like 2.1ghz




Good point. I'll pass that on.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

whatsamattaU


quality posts: 1071 Private Messages whatsamattaU

creativespirit


quality posts: 1 Private Messages creativespirit

I bought one of these when it first came out. I was having surgery and knew I'd be unable to access my desktop for a few months. This proved to be a handy alternative, having the flexibility of a tablet and a sturdy keyboard when I needed to do some serious typing. The keyboard is comfortable to use and you also have the alternative of "Swype-ing" on the screen. Worked well for me then, and still does.

atomizer


quality posts: 14 Private Messages atomizer

Looks like this sale is just for the white one, based on the photos. There are also at the very least Brown & Grey models. The model number for this one would be SL101-A1-WT, with the last two letters indicating the color. It would be nice if this could be clarified.

____________________________________
Between 5 May 2006 and 27 October 2014:
469 separate Woots
896 total items
87 Woot-offs; 4 random craps

disco98


quality posts: 1 Private Messages disco98

We got this for my son (he was 10)when it first came out. We liked the feature of the USB port so he could do school projects and save them to flash drives or easily print out things with our old cheap printer. He takes it everywhere and (knock on wood) it had been VERY durable.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

atomizer wrote:Looks like this sale is just for the white one, based on the photos. There are also at the very least Brown & Grey models. The model number for this one would be SL101-A1-WT, with the last two letters indicating the color. It would be nice if this could be clarified.

Yep, what you see is what you'll get. Looks white-ish.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

nanaejt


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
peterwu wrote:I can see myself breaking this thing in a week



I suggest anger management

shaun40555


quality posts: 5 Private Messages shaun40555

Can you put ICS on this thing?

gusvonpooch


quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
shaun40555 wrote:Can you put ICS on this thing?



Says you can in the description.

gusvonpooch


quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

Anyone have experience with this and the Sony S tablet? How do they compare ?

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

justincase2008


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justincase2008

If anyone is looking to root and rom heres a great tool to do so.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1345049

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
fmfondeur wrote:I think is to much for a first generation Nvidia CPU.
Tegra 3 was released in beginning of 2012, I just couldn't recommend this at the price point.
There are far better options available, with the Nexus 10.1 just right around the corner.




I agree. Although the first generation Tegra 2 still perform pretty decent coupled with GeForce graphics processor. I've used 1st generation Thrives, Acer A500 and Asus transformer and they still do a pretty decent job-> but I purchased all of those tablets for between 180-210 refurbed. Given this has the attached keyboard, I think it should be priced around 230.

mikelindo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikelindo

Does anyone have experience with Skype on this thing?

cedaroo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages cedaroo

Is an upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.2 likely?

I see that Jelly Bean 4.1 has been announced for for the slider (see:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1778907) but can find no mention/discussion of 4.2 for it.

Are there any reasons why this wouldn't be likely to run Jelly Bean 4.2 well?

With both micro-sd and a full size USB (for a card reader), this could be great as a camera backup device when we travel, and I like the idea of the keyboard for the kids' assignments - but real support for multiple users (not just KidZone) is an absolute requirement for us.

Thanks!

goldendragoon84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages goldendragoon84

Why not buy an iPad?

offline999


quality posts: 4 Private Messages offline999
gak0090 wrote:I agree. Although the first generation Tegra 2 still perform pretty decent coupled with GeForce graphics processor. I've used 1st generation Thrives, Acer A500 and Asus transformer and they still do a pretty decent job-> but I purchased all of those tablets for between 180-210 refurbed. Given this has the attached keyboard, I think it should be priced around 230.



I'm still rocking the Acer Iconia A500 and have been very happy with its performance (though it drops WiFi once-a-day since upgrading to ICS...but that's a different story).
I'm seriously considering jumping on this as a first "laptop" for my son. His 3rd grade math homework is done online at ixl.com so having something for him to use is appealing.
I know...I'm rationalizing another tech purchase...geez. Did my wife tell you to say that!?

toast95135


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toast95135
mikelindo wrote:Does anyone have experience with Skype on this thing?



I had the regular Transformer and it was a great tablet. however... they cheaped out on the internal microphone. If you're gonna use it to skype you need a set of headphones with the inline mic.

cedaroo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages cedaroo
goldendragoon84 wrote:Why not buy an iPad?


You're kidding right?

For starters this has a micro-sd card, a full sized USB (host) port, and a built in keyboard.

Last I checked ipads, not even the most expensive, have any of these things.

Having two ports (USB & micro-USB) can make this a wonderful dSLR companion for backing up and processing photos when traveling. And a built in keyboard would mean I could turn off bluetooth (for the power savings) and will have one less thing to keep charged.

And even just being able to typically run flash (unsupported, but usable in ICS at least) opens up many educational sites.

I also find the App selections, particularly for networking and productivity, much stronger and more useful on the Android side.

Customizability is another Android advantage, in that I can select the launcher(s)/desktop(s), widget(s), and even ROM(s) that best meet my needs.

And while that's just a beginning of the reasons I moved to Android, everyone should experiment and use what they use best.

landbgarza


quality posts: 0 Private Messages landbgarza
goldendragoon84 wrote:Why not buy an iPad?



Because they suck.
(The life out of AppleHeads)

Never buy a car you cant push.

kjc62454


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kjc62454

Can you download books and if so from what company?

AutobahnSHO


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AutobahnSHO
kjc62454 wrote:Can you download books and if so from what company?



You can download (free) the Kindle app and use any Amazon ebooks. Amazon has tons of the classics available for free download.

Asus tablets come with other e-reader apps free also.

My local library (Clarksville, TN) lets you "check out" books for a week for free- they go to the Kindle app. If they are checked out by someone else you just get on the wait list and it's available after they are done.

You can also look at pdf books.

AutobahnSHO


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AutobahnSHO
goldendragoon84 wrote:Why not buy an iPad?



Why not drive a car with 3 wheels? For twice the price as a regular car?

The only advantage an iPad would have over this is paying extra to get 3G, and the battery life on an iPad would be better.

Otherwise, see Cedaroo's list. Plus you can use external harddrives with it. Or even a mouse or 'real keyboard'.

Oh and NO ITUNES. You can just plug this into ANY computer to transfer files/music/movies. (yes it works with Mac.)

jchkao1125


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchkao1125
whatsamattaU wrote:$329.99 refurbished vs. $279.99 here
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3754578

Video:






product website
http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Slider_SL101/



I believe 1saleaday had a new one for $319 a few days ago. So that would be the better deal. So you might consider waiting for it to come up again. Just something to consider.

AutobahnSHO


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AutobahnSHO

Honestly these are kinda old. If you really need the keyboard attached, it's a good tablet. But the Nexus 10 blows it away performance-wise.

I bought the Asus Transformer tablet and keyboard when it first came out (out of stock in the US until May 2011) and I'm still a happy camper.

jchkao1125


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchkao1125
gak0090 wrote:I agree. Although the first generation Tegra 2 still perform pretty decent coupled with GeForce graphics processor. I've used 1st generation Thrives, Acer A500 and Asus transformer and they still do a pretty decent job-> but I purchased all of those tablets for between 180-210 refurbed. Given this has the attached keyboard, I think it should be priced around 230.



I agree since 1saleaday had the new one for $319 just a few days ago. I'd rather have the new one for $40 more. I'm just saying. I would wait for 1saleaday to offer it again. I would buy this now if Woot was offering a new one for $279. I can hope.

Lassik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lassik
goldendragoon84 wrote:Why not buy an iPad?



You people realize this was said just to get a rise out of you right?

They say I have Attention Deficit Disorder but i don't th.... Ohh look a kitty!

cedaroo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages cedaroo
AutobahnSHO wrote:But the Nexus 10 blows it away performance-wise.



While this beats the Nexus in connection & expansion (USB host + micro-SD).

Oh!, for a Nexus with 2+ connection/expansion ports and/or slots, but I'm afraid Google may be saving those for their partners.

cedaroo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages cedaroo
Lassik wrote:You people realize this was said just to get a rise out of you right?



"You have attributed conditions to villainy that [may] simply result from [ignorance]".

And "We're All Ignorant, Just About Different Things!"

Cheers.

junyo


quality posts: 3 Private Messages junyo
AutobahnSHO wrote:You can download (free) the Kindle app and use any Amazon ebooks. Amazon has tons of the classics available for free download.

Asus tablets come with other e-reader apps free also.

My local library (Clarksville, TN) lets you "check out" books for a week for free- they go to the Kindle app. If they are checked out by someone else you just get on the wait list and it's available after they are done.

You can also look at pdf books.



While I'm sure Amazon appreciates it; that's a very Kindle-centric answer. A more thorough one would be that you can download and read books from any company with an Android app. Which is essentially anyone. For instance, no issues running the Nook/ePub format books. You can find a list and discussion of eBook file formats and supported devices here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats

You'll see Android devices handle all but a couple of them.

gelo48


quality posts: 8 Private Messages gelo48

Download Calibre and you can change just about any format to any other, free and easy to use. Someone on woot pointed this out when I purchased a Nook here. Many thanks to whoever that was.


junyo wrote:While I'm sure Amazon appreciates it; that's a very Kindle-centric answer. A more thorough one would be that you can download and read books from any company with an Android app. Which is essentially anyone. For instance, no issues running the Nook/ePub format books. You can find a list and discussion of eBook file formats and supported devices here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats

You'll see Android devices handle all but a couple of them.



rootatlocalhost


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootatlocalhost
toast95135 wrote:I had the regular Transformer and it was a great tablet. however... they cheaped out on the internal microphone. If you're gonna use it to skype you need a set of headphones with the inline mic.



How do you tell if it's the headphone mic that's working?

It's one of transformer annoyances: they used a 3.5 mm 4-pole jack -- those basically don't exist as "computer" headsets come with 2 jacks (mic and phones) and "phone" headsets come with 2.5 mm jack.

Headphones help anyway because they remove the speaker feedback and cancel out skype's feedback-cancelling algorithms which I don't think tegra 2 has enough cycles to run.

Transformer's main annoyance is that android and most of its apps don't play well with hardware keyboard and mousepad.

hoosiercub


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hoosiercub

Hardware, is old. Device, is old.

Android 3.2... you people can't be serious.

offline999


quality posts: 4 Private Messages offline999
hoosiercub wrote:Hardware, is old. Device, is old.

Android 3.2... you people can't be serious.



I'd be curious to hear why you feel that Android OS 3.2 is somehow a "joke". I've had daily Wi-fi issues with my Iconia since updating from Honeycomb (3.0) to Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0). I do like having Chrome as a browser but having to disable Wi-fi and then re-enable it daily has become more than just a casual annoyance.
Newer isn't always better.