TCayer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TCayer

Just buy it. I hate to keep repeating myself every time they offer this. Woot's obviously going to keep selling them until everyone has one. Just buy it already!

byuky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages byuky

Does anyone know if there is a yearly subscription w/ this ala magicjack?

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea

We have had our Ooma since February 2012. I have zero complaints. The phone # porting went through without a hitch and actually happened quicker than I expected. We have the Ooma hooked up to two DECT 6.0 cordless phones, works perfectly. The phones even know if there is a new voicemail, although they cannot play it back. I've never had an issue with call quality, although we've had at least a 5 mb/s connection since we've had it.

We pay around $3.75 per month in taxes. It is not unlimited minutes, I think it is 5,000 per month which is way more than we ever come close to using.

I believe the biggest advantage of the Ooma over the Obi is the ability to port your home phone #. However, I'm sure thare are other advantages (e.g. premier services) and disadvantages (cost).

One other great feature is the my.ooma.com portal that you get for free. You can see your missed calls, voice messages including playback, etc from your web portal.

butterflys4dreams

quality posts: 2 Private Messages butterflys4dreams

Has anyone experienced any problems with the refurbished version?

sporadic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sporadic
byuky wrote:Does anyone know if there is a yearly subscription w/ this ala magicjack?

No subscription/contract. The main cost of the Ooma is the device. After that it's just taxes and 911 regulatory fees. ($3.xx like others have mentioned)

scottmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottmo
anniecs wrote:Can anyone direct me to a good comparison between the Obi 110 and this Ooma? I have been looking for Ooma to come back up and kept watching in the last two WootOffs. While researching and waiting I found the Obi 110 and finally ordered it from Amazon. Should I send it back and buy Ooma? Which is best?

I have the Ooma and I also have an Obi110 set up with Google Voice. I would say to stick with the Obi and not get the Ooma. The only reason I got the Ooma was because I couldn't port my existing number to Google Voice, even using the suggested porting to Tmobile first then to Google. It didn't work for me in my "calling area". I don't have 911 service with the Obi but I still have a land line for that, and no taxes charged either on the Obi Google Voice setup. If Google starts charging for their service next year that could change everything.

skinner456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages skinner456

I bought the Ooma 3 years ago -- here is my Amazon review from last year. After 3 years the box still works perfectly. I've had 3 different internet providers (DSL, Uverse, and cable modem) at 2 different locations, and never had a problem with the service. I've also found their customer service always helpful (though not always quick to understand my problem). Complaints about needing an internet connection and power for this to work are issues for EVERY VOIP provider, not just Ooma. A lot of people have VOIP through AT&T or their cable companies without realizing it -- same issues apply to you. At $99 this is an absolute steal. The $3-$4 a month you pay in fees after this pales in comparison to just about every major company out there, and while you can get cheaper service from other places, very few are as good as Ooma.

------
I originally purchased the Ooma Hub/Scout in the fall of 2009, but the Telo came out right around the time I started with Ooma so I returned those and upgraded to the Telo (purchased from Costco).

I've now had the Telo for close to 2 years and thought people would appreciate a review from someone who has had it awhile.

First, since I originally had a Hub/Scout and then upgraded, I was grandfathered into the original ToS (terms of service), meaning I don't have to pay a yearly "fee" of $12-13 as some people do. I purchased the unit for $200 from Costco and that even came with $100 automatically into my prepaid account. The yearly fee of $12, even if I was paying it, is insignificant compared to what ANY other phone company charges, apart from MagicJack, which I would not ever purchase. It is simply put, a great value. That $200 is paid off in just 6-9 months of ANY other home phone service from other companies.

Second, installation was simple, even when upgrading to the Telo. I did make a couple extra phone calls to Ooma because I was concerned the quick switchover from old to new equipment would confuse Ooma, but it went relatively smooth. I did not have an old phone number to port so can't speak to that issue, but I was able to select a new home phone # in my area without problem.

Third, while I have the unit hidden inside my computer desk, it is actually quite stylish and I wouldn't mind having it sit out. We don't use any of the voicemail features on the Ooma since we just prefer to use our regular phone answering machine.

Fourth, in relation to actual use of the phone service, I have been quite happy with the service. I am using my 5-year old Uniden 2.4 ghz cordless phones which cause my biggest issue since they are cheap and don't have great range. The call quality itself is excellent with minimal voice delays. I have been using this with both AT&T DSL and U-Verse internet with download speeds of 6-12 mbps and upload speed of no more than 1.4mbps. I just switched internet to Charter Cable internet 1 week ago, so I will have to see if that impacts the quality since upload speeds are slower (1mbps upload which is pretty damn slow). My few short calls since then have not had any problems.

Fifth, I do not pay for the Ooma Premiere services. I evaluated it when I had the free trial, and while all the features are nice and seemed to work, we just didn't a use for them. For people who want those features the price is reasonable, but I still get my necessary core features (Caller ID with name, Call Waiting) under the basic service and it suits my needs.

I will say this phone is our backup to our cell phones so it does not receive extensive daily use. In almost two years, however, I have never had a single outage of service that I have noticed (maybe some happened when I wasn't using it). I was able to move addresses and switch internet providers and switch routers and internet equipment, and it still just works. I have never had problems configuring it to work between any of my 3 internet providers or sets of equipment. The customer service was frustrating at one point when they accidentally deleted my $100 prepaid money, but they actually fully restored back to $100 even though I had already used some.

For those unaware, there is also an Ooma iPhone app. There is a small fee for the app, which I think is ridiculous since making phone calls from there uses money in your prepaid Ooma account. I did purchase the app because the $100 I got from Costco means I have several thousand minutes I can use on my iPhone (they charge per minute when using the app, rates are dirt cheap, like 1-2 cents/minute). When you call out using the app it shows your Ooma home phone on the Caller ID. The app works reasonably well and I've actually used it in places where I had no cell phone signal but DID have WiFi access (which happens to me at work), but it also works over 3G. The call quality is good (though not quite as good as the regular service). Given that I have around 7,000 rollover minutes on AT&T I don't really need these Ooma minutes anymore, but it is a nice perk and additional way to make phone calls on the go. I don't use Google Voice but for those that do they offer a lot of integration that may make it appealing. As of now you cannot receive calls using the app, only dial out, so that definitely limits its utility. On the whole while it is nice to have, I can't recommend the iPhone app to anyone given that it costs $10 AND you have to then pay per minute.

For some reason few people outside of techies like me seem to have heard of Ooma, but I personally think this is far and away the best VOIP phone option out there. As long as they are in business I essentially have free phone service, so I hope more people sign up.

DigMe

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DigMe

I've had Voicepulse voip service for years and I really like all the extras and the very fast and thorough customer service. It's $15 a month. I've considered going Ooma route but it looks like I'd have to pay the $9.99 per month premium service fee to get similar features as to what I have with Voicepulse. So after 20 months I'd pay for the unit with the savings over Voicepulse.. I may break down and switch at some point but I just haven't been real motivated. The main thing I let's do the time warp again! to give up and would thus have to pay the $9.99 a month for is the ability to put sales call numbers on a filter. Voicepulse allows me to send them to a fake "No longer in service" recording. I love that feature as I have no use for telemarketers and also now that I'm running a business out of my home I'm getting 5 or more calls a day wanting to sell me credit card machines.

skitabug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skitabug

I purchased one retail a year or so ago. Yes, the only charges I pay are around $3/month for 911 service. Ultimately, that's the only reason I kept the Ooma.

I was REALLY disappointed, and would caution others, that it does NOT integrate with Google Voice the way Ooma claims it does. It will work just like a regular phone, ie: you can forward calls from Google Voice to this phone, however it does NOT allow you to set it up so it uses your Voice number to dial out. Since I bought it mostly for that reason, as I said, HUGE disappointment. Otherwise... it works just fine.

AmeliaDarling

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AmeliaDarling

I just paid $130 for my unit and so far it's been great. Customer service is good. Ported my number for a fee and there hasn't been a blip in my phone service. Working from home 4 days a week, have my office phone forwarded to my home office and it's been fine. No dropped calls. No noticeable drop in sound quality. Will be saving about $400/year on phone costs.

It's not living alone if you sleep with a rifle under the bed. - Chuck Palahniuk

alanhwoot

quality posts: 39 Private Messages alanhwoot
sdwindansea wrote:The phones even know if there is a new voicemail, although they cannot play it back.

You can access voice mails from a handset by dialing your own phone number.

billandmissy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billandmissy

We have 2 Ooma's. One we've had for about 2 years, the other we bought for our Daughter about 1 year ago.
No service complaints.
Our complaint is this: Our daughter recently moved to a place with wireless HS internet. Ooma wouldn't work with that system and we tried everything, including all hints and tips on their forums. Apparently not compatible.
We had Ooma deactivated to save the taxes and fees since it wasn't in use and we were still being charged. AFTER we got it deactivated it was given to my brother. He went to have it reactivated and there was a $79.+ charge to reactivate the system. We were unaware of this, never told about his fee when deactivating.
You have been warned.

Bottom line, if you're unsure that you might want to deactivate it to save fees if you move or whatever Ooma is NOT cost effective.

My brother was told to throw the Ooma away. Cheaper to replace it though we will never do that.

billandmissy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billandmissy
sdwindansea wrote:We have had our Ooma since February 2012. I have zero complaints. The phone # porting went through without a hitch and actually happened quicker than I expected. We have the Ooma hooked up to two DECT 6.0 cordless phones, works perfectly. The phones even know if there is a new voicemail, although they cannot play it back. I've never had an issue with call quality, although we've had at least a 5 mb/s connection since we've had it.

We pay around $3.75 per month in taxes. It is not unlimited minutes, I think it is 5,000 per month which is way more than we ever come close to using.

I believe the biggest advantage of the Ooma over the Obi is the ability to port your home phone #. However, I'm sure thare are other advantages (e.g. premier services) and disadvantages (cost).

One other great feature is the my.ooma.com portal that you get for free. You can see your missed calls, voice messages including playback, etc from your web portal.

Call your number from the phone connected to it, that's how we get our messages through the phone used with Ooma.

travisadn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages travisadn

Ordered one last time it was up. Absolutely love it and recommend it to everyone. Voice quality is great, haven't had any outages, and my monthly bill is a whopping 4.37.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

I would get one of these but computers are so dang smart today I am afraid if I stepped up on this it would blurt out, "get off of me fat a**!" and that would be to much to endure.

722lad

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 722lad

I bought this when it was offered in July and have had ongoing problems. The first was DTMF talkoff (jury's still out on whether or not that's fixed since I tried the latest fix). Basically, sometimes "rich" (and usually female) voices are translated by the device into (loud) touch-tone beeps.

I also had a weird problem where someone would call, but my Ooma-connected phone wouldn't ring! (Frustrated callers immediately dialed my cell phone, so that's how I knew what was happening).

I have to say, customer service has been great. They've already sent me a replacement (new! not refurb) unit and are quick to respond/offer solutions.

One more thing: I must confess I was missing my landline the last 2 days. Sandy knocked out my power, and I've also lost cell phone reception in my apartment (had to go outside in the rain to text or make a call, and it took over a minute to send a simple text msg). Luckily I have family nearby with power, but it was so hard to make contact with the overload on AT&T.

jrronimo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrronimo
colbytitus wrote:Not compared to Magic Jack. I never will understand why people buy these bulky expensive things when MJ is available. I gues because they are bigger you think you are getting more?

I think it's because Magic Jack's website feels like an informercial... which in my mind feels immediately like a scam. Every time I go to the site to start reading, I feel like I'm talking to a used car salesman who's just trying to cheat me out of as much money as possible.

I realize it's been vetted by a lot of The Internet, but I personally can't get over feeling deeply repulsed every time I go to its site.

I guess somewhere along my wacky childhood development, "As seen on TV!" became synonymous with "Crap!".

...this is all probably just me, though.

jrronimo

billandmissy wrote:Call your number from the phone connected to it, that's how we get our messages through the phone used with Ooma.

Do either of you know if it's possible to disable the Ooma's built-in voicemail in favor of a phone's answering machine?

I find my phone's internal answering machine to be more convenient.

jrronimo

Dang, well, missed out on that one. >< Oh well. 's what I get for being slow.