3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

looks interesting, might get one for mom.

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

Give WhatsamatterU 2 TREAT!'s for that post!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

p2002 wrote:Give WhatsamatterU 2 TREAT!'s for that post!

Unfortunately, it don't work that way.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

Has anyone used this software before? I am looking for an upgraded PDF\OCR converter, this might be worth it for the software alone.

dhillinmkewi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhillinmkewi
p2002 wrote:Has anyone used this software before? I am looking for an upgraded PDF\OCR converter, this might be worth it for the software alone.

I have used it, but prefer ABBYY FineReader or other OCR software. Readris and I never got along.

-------------------------Woots 3/28/08 3xScreaming Monkeys
3/3/08 Gateway QuadCore 2/1/08 H&R Block TaxCut Premium on 1GB Thumb Drive 12/18/07 3x3 Belkin MP3 Wireless Xmitter 11/5/07 Sansa e250 MP3 8/20/07 Sansa m240 MP3
2/26/07 H&R Block TaxCut Premium on 256MB Thumb Drive 10/12/06 Labtec USB WebCam 8/12/06 Alienware 512MB MP3 Player/Boombox/Dock 1/27/2006 Vivitar 8.1MP Cameras 1/1/2006 Monster Surround Speakers 12/25/2005 gristle 12/13/2005 InFocus 61" HDTV

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0

Did anyone else notice the video says "Excludes iPhone and iPad compatibile via the MicrosSD Adapter"? No, that's not my typo, it the video spells it as MicrosSD.

So here's the problem. The iPad doesn't have a MicroSD (or MicrosSD slot. You might need to use one of these devices:

clumpymold

quality posts: 4 Private Messages clumpymold

In for one. I'll have to try to use this with my BlackBerry too.

Eric379

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Eric379

I own the non-Bluetooth version of this unit which is sold under the brand name of VuPoint Magic Wand. It's physically identical with the exception of the silver colored trim, and identical in specs except for the Bluetooth.

With a little practice I can obtain amazingly good scans. This is a really tempting deal as I paid $99 for mine. Would definitely make using it with my Nexus 7 tablet much simpler. Hmmmm...

edit - And I just noticed that this version has a rechargeable battery inside... The VuPoint runs on 2 AA batteries. This is a GREAT deal!

edit - And... In for one. W00t!

ThunderThighs

Staff

cengland0 wrote:Did anyone else notice the video says "Excludes iPhone and iPad compatibile via the MicrosSD Adapter"? No, that's not my typo, it the video spells it as MicrosSD.

So here's the problem. The iPad doesn't have a MicroSD (or MicrosSD slot. You might need to use one of these devices:

Correct. The specs do mention it. Weird that the video doesn't.

iPad® compatible (with SD™ card adaptor for iPad®, not included)

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

afbennett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages afbennett

I have the VuPoint. It only came with Windows software... so no IRIS on the Mac with that version... I am returning it and have bought this one... anxious for it to arrive!
In checking prices online... there is NO BETTER DEAL... the cheapest I could find was $99 and free shipping... even paying $5 for shipping, this is a very good price!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
ThunderThighs wrote:Unfortunately, it don't work that way.

I'll split the info up if y'all would prefer(like product info, videos, etc.), regardless of whether it gets an extra Drew Carey point or not. It's easier to put the links in one entry, though. Thanks anyway, though I have plenty of Q posts (except in comparison to Cesare or NightGhost).

chriscclark01

quality posts: 23 Private Messages chriscclark01

Here's the same thing, different name:

http://www.amazon.com/VuPoint-PDSBT-ST43-VP-Portable-Scanner-Bluetooth/dp/B0053CHZRG

It's $62.50 with free shipping.

[MOD: Per IRIScan, they are not affiliated with Vupoint. The IRIScan has higher functionality and features including the Readiris Pro software and the included 2GB MicroSD card]

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

Babba booey... its Blue Iris

dreader

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreader

Amazon has it for $93 bucks. Reviews say battery life is problematic.

Texas Cybergal
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." - Sign in Albert Einstein's office

omnichad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omnichad

I love my Kindle Paperwhite, but paper books are cheap. And I no longer like reading paper books late at night - what do I do?

Anyone try to use one of these to make a real book into an ebook? How did it go? How long does it take?

It's tempting for that silly purpose.

Chris10162

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Chris10162

How does this work for scanning artwork? My daughter wants to start doing computer design, she is 10 years old, and this would seem to be a great solution to get her hand-drawn art into the computer for manipulation. Anyone have experience with this?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Chris10162 wrote:How does this work for scanning artwork? My daughter wants to start doing computer design, she is 10 years old, and this would seem to be a great solution to get her hand-drawn art into the computer for manipulation. Anyone have experience with this?

I'm worried that this scanner might be a bit frustrating for someone that young. It's aimed for those need a portable scanning solution and does require a steady hand.

You probably be better of with a flatbed scanner that would be easier for her to use. Trust me, you'll get tons of use out of it. (Mom of college art student.)

FORUM MODERATOR

areaman714

quality posts: 3 Private Messages areaman714

Frankly, there are many free scanning apps (i.e. CamScanner)for iOS and Android that render this devise obsolete . . .

Sportzcoop

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Sportzcoop
p2002 wrote:Has anyone used this software before? I am looking for an upgraded PDF\OCR converter, this might be worth it for the software alone.

There are different levels of ReadIris just like there are several levels of OCR made by Nuance, and Abby. Many different commercial applications rely on Iris and it is very popular in Europe. For this price it will be a good value if you aren't particular and can deal with correcting a number of things. In my experience Omnipage's top OCR has been the best at converting documents. If you want a full OCR program with it I would suggest getting a license of eCopy PDF Pro Office, or Nuance PDF Creator Pro.

shields4037

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shields4037

I have tried many apps and have a hard time getting clear copies with iphone and ipad. I hoped this would correct that. Think not??

shields4037

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shields4037
areaman714 wrote:Frankly, there are many free scanning apps (i.e. CamScanner)for iOS and Android that render this devise obsolete . . .

Which are best??

Joshana

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Joshana

Would this be a good device for scanning/saving recipets?

I just got a new consulting gig, gonna be travling alot and will need to keep/document recipets.

rkstevens

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rkstevens

I've been looking at these hand scanners for a while. My only reservation is that everyone I've seen onlys scans to JPEG which is more suited for photographs. I'd mostly be scanning articles with lots of text and I'm used to scanning those into TIFF or Bitmap format. Does anyone who has one of these or a similar device know how good the scans are for text? Is the text crisp if you zoom in on the scan or does it get really pixelated? Thanks!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
areaman714 wrote:Frankly, there are many free scanning apps (i.e. CamScanner)for iOS and Android that render this devise obsolete . . .

You're assuming (1) All of us have or want a smartphone (and I'm as computer savvy as the next person), and (2) The quality from the smartphone app is as good. I haven't read a lot on this, but I guess the question is what one's definition of "good enough" is. I haven't seen anyone say the phone is as good as a scanner in quality, but good enough is the call.
Also, (3) I can't vouch for this scanner, but my Neat portable scanner's software (I know the arguments from here earlier when they sell) helps in organizing receipts, making them pdf's easily, etc., and others noted that that software did more than the phone apps. Maybe I'm wrong and/or the apps have improved. My 2 cents.

azwiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azwiz

@Eric379
I too own an identical scanner w/o bluetooth.(a Nexus7 too) It's a Wolverine Data PASS200 ( http://secure.mm5server.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PASS-200&Category_Code=&Store_Code=WD ) and it looks like the Iris, VuePoint, and about 5 other products, just in a different color.
It doesn't matter what that Iris guy said in the comments above, they may put their label on it, package it, paint it, include software and sd cards, but in the end it's the same damn device.
I think I paid about $84 for my PASS200 and it works great. Some of the early scanners (Wolverine included) only had one roller and the registration was horrible. Blurry sometimes unreadable. 2 rollers fixed it.
One of the companies must hold the patent on the design because if you look at Wolverine, Iris, VuePoint, etc They look & work the same.
I was about to buy one of these just for the software, but after the comments I read, think there are cheaper alternatives. I don't need bluetooth, my fingers work just fine pluckin' that little microSD out.

yde

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yde

My scanner arrived today. The charger seems to be wrong for the US, though.
There is a USB port on one end but the other end does not have a USA-compatible 120V plug. Instead it has two round prongs about 3/4 inch apart.
Is this normal? Am I missing a power cord or adapter?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

yde wrote:My scanner arrived today. The charger seems to be wrong for the US, though.
There is a USB port on one end but the other end does not have a USA-compatible 120V plug. Instead it has two round prongs about 3/4 inch apart.
Is this normal? Am I missing a power cord or adapter?

We're sorry to hear that you might have received the wrong charger. Have you tried contacting Iris Support Center?

If you contact them and they're unable to help you resolve the issue, please feel free to contact us at support@woot.com and we'll be glad to help resolve the issue.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

squally47

quality posts: 1 Private Messages squally47

Same thing here. Above the UPC I notice it says "International".

ROGETRAY wrote:We're sorry to hear that you might have received the wrong charger. Have you tried contacting Iris Support Center?

If you contact them and they're unable to help you resolve the issue, please feel free to contact us at support@woot.com and we'll be glad to help resolve the issue.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

ThunderThighs

Staff

INTERNATIONAL ADAPTER

Hey all. Just figured out what's going on with the adapter. In the US market, this scanner is sold as USB charged so no adapter is needed. The European adapter was included by accident in the package so consider it a bonus if you do any traveling.

Hope that helps explains the mystery plug.

FORUM MODERATOR