PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

mnevenflow wrote:I looked around a bit this morning on Windows forums and found this error seems to be known and related to RAID drives using AMD controllers and Win 8. The error is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (amdsbs.sys). It seems to be an error known since test versions of Win 8, but I haven't seen a guide for how to fix the computer yet. I have some concerns since I can't get to a working screen on the computer anymore it will be a harder fix.

i hate to do the foisting thing, but have you contacted HP? i know it's probably not an appetizing prospect, but their support team should help you address a known issue, certainly.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

thorinsky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thorinsky
mnevenflow wrote:Got mine today. Within 1 hour it was stuck in an endless boot cycle because of an error.
I am refreshing my pc's os now even though literally the only thing I did was create 2 logins before the error started. Luckily, my wife had already wandered off so I haven't had to deal with her wrath of "why'd you buy a POS?" yet.
Not a good start for Win 8 and HP.

Same here -- same symptoms -- same error.

thorinsky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thorinsky
thorinsky wrote:Same here -- same symptoms -- same error.

By the way, HP Support is terrible. I have been on three calls already. Dropped from the first two. They cannot route me correctly to the right team. The Envry is a new computer and Windows 8 is a new OS. No one at HP can support either one. This is going back to Woot.

mnevenflow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mnevenflow
thorinsky wrote:By the way, HP Support is terrible. I have been on three calls already. Dropped from the first two. They cannot route me correctly to the right team. The Envry is a new computer and Windows 8 is a new OS. No one at HP can support either one. This is going back to Woot.

I had a similar issue. After 4 transfers, 5 people and 45 minutes wasted, I finally told them I didn't have time when they wanted me to crack the case to unplug and replug connections. That's definitely not the right thing to do. I asked if there was an updated driver as that's my guess and they insisted I reset the bios (again) then crack the case to check connections if that didn't work.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

thorinsky wrote:By the way, HP Support is terrible. I have been on three calls already. Dropped from the first two. They cannot route me correctly to the right team. The Envry is a new computer and Windows 8 is a new OS. No one at HP can support either one. This is going back to Woot.

mnevenflow wrote:I had a similar issue. After 4 transfers, 5 people and 45 minutes wasted, I finally told them I didn't have time when they wanted me to crack the case to unplug and replug connections. That's definitely not the right thing to do. I asked if there was an updated driver as that's my guess and they insisted I reset the bios (again) then crack the case to check connections if that didn't work.

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your computer purchase and contacting HP.

Please feel to email us at support@woot.com and we'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

russell.williams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages russell.williams

Same situation, got it today and booted and set the time and user. Now a continual cycle of driver_irql_not_less_or_equal amdsbs.sys reboots. Doesn't run more than a couple of minutes.

ROGETRAY

Staff

russell.williams wrote:Same situation, got it today and booted and set the time and user. Now a continual cycle of driver_irql_not_less_or_equal amdsbs.sys reboots. Doesn't run more than a couple of minutes.

We recommend that you contact HP Customer Support to remedy the situation.

If they prove unhelpful, please feel free to contact us at support@woot.com and we'll be glad to assist you in finding a solution.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

mnevenflow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mnevenflow
ROGETRAY wrote:We recommend that you contact HP Customer Support to remedy the situation.

If they prove unhelpful, please feel free to contact us at support@woot.com and we'll be glad to assist you in finding a solution.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

So far, they have been very unhelpful with suggestions to open the box and unplug/replug items into the mother board to test the issue. This is clearly a driver issue as can be seen from Win 8 forums, but they don't have any notes in their script to try a new driver, so they don't have any idea of what to do.

ROGETRAY

Staff

mnevenflow wrote:So far, they have been very unhelpful with suggestions to open the box and unplug/replug items into the mother board to test the issue. This is clearly a driver issue as can be seen from Win 8 forums, but they don't have any notes in their script to try a new driver, so they don't have any idea of what to do.

We hear ya, this seems to be a slowly growing issue. I'll notify some staff members to see if they can help remedy the issue.

Until then, just email into us here at support@woot.com and let us know.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

russell.williams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages russell.williams
ROGETRAY wrote:We recommend that you contact HP Customer Support to remedy the situation.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Spent an 2 hours with HP support. Went through taking it back to factory install but the problem continues. It probably is a bad driver but we never tried a different one.
The technician ended up saying it was a bad system and told me to take it back where I got it for a refund or replacement. HP says they have a 21-day automatic warranty that all sellers agree to for defective systems.

ROGETRAY

Staff

russell.williams wrote:Spent an 2 hours with HP support. Went through taking it back to factory install but the problem continues. It probably is a bad driver but we never tried a different one.
The technician ended up saying it was a bad system and told me to take it back where I got it for a refund or replacement. HP says they have a 21-day automatic warranty that all sellers agree to for defective systems.

I'm very sorry to hear that you had to spend so long with their Support Service.

As I stated earlier, our staff has been notified of this growing issue and if you write into support@woot.com, we'll do our best to help remedy the situation.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

jodeus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodeus
ROGETRAY wrote:I'm very sorry to hear that you had to spend so long with their Support Service.

As I stated earlier, our staff has been notified of this growing issue and if you write into support@woot.com, we'll do our best to help remedy the situation.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Thanks for alerting us to the issue. I had powered up my new pc only to get the same result. I found that this thread had been updated and I told the HP tech. I asked him if I could send him the link but strangely enough, he said they can't get email.....?

I see where other users, who had this issues with beta builds, fixed it with an updated amdsbs.sys file but with no disks I'm not sure how we can do that, or if it's feasible.

-Jody

sweetheartko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweetheartko

I am having the same issue and have emailed support@woot.com to let them know.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

sweetheartko wrote:I am having the same issue and have emailed support@woot.com to let them know.

thanks for sending the info our way.
sorry for the inconvenience, all.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

jodeus

jodeus wrote:Thanks for alerting us to the issue. I had powered up my new pc only to get the same result. I found that this thread had been updated and I told the HP tech. I asked him if I could send him the link but strangely enough, he said they can't get email.....?

I see where other users, who had this issues with beta builds, fixed it with an updated amdsbs.sys file but with no disks I'm not sure how we can do that, or if it's feasible.

-Jody

I just had HP call me back, as a follow up to yesterday's call to see if I heard from the reseller because it's within the 21 day period and it's possible the group of pcs they have "were bad".

Haven't heard anything from the emails I sent to Woot. Any updates?
Thanks.

Jody

oneday724

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oneday724

Same situation, got it last night and booted and set the time and user. Now a continual cycle of driver_irql_not_less_or_equal amdsbs.sys reboots. Doesn't run more than a couple of minutes

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
oneday724 wrote:Same situation, got it last night and booted and set the time and user. Now a continual cycle of driver_irql_not_less_or_equal amdsbs.sys reboots. Doesn't run more than a couple of minutes

Just fyiz, our staff has been notified of this growing issue and if you write into support@woot.com, we'll do our best to help remedy the situation.

So sorry. (But yeah, please know we are working as fast as possible on this one.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

jodeus

Anyone see where this is:
Front Panel:
15-in-1 Card Reader: (SM, xD, MMC, SD, miniSD, CF I, CF II, MD, MS, MS Pro, MSD, MSPD, RS-MMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+)

I think I'm going crazy because I don't see a card reader anywhere, especially on the front panel.
Thanks.

-Jody

sweetheartko

jodeus wrote:I just had HP call me back, as a follow up to yesterday's call to see if I heard from the reseller because it's within the 21 day period and it's possible the group of pcs they have "were bad".

Haven't heard anything from the emails I sent to Woot. Any updates?
Thanks.

Jody

I can replace or refund

raigan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raigan

The hard drives on mine were installed wrong. The SSD is labeled as the DataDrive and is empty and the 2TB drive is labeled as OS and has the OS installed. Great job, HP, great job. Without OS restore disks or any way to make one, this is not fixable by the user. I think I fixed the IRQ issue I was having by downloading the raid drivers from AMD then running the installer, then using the device manager to "update" the drivers from the download. Hasn't crashed since.

gk2000ee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gk2000ee

Had the same issue with driver_irql_not_less_or_equal amdsbs.sys reboots and have let support@woot.com know

darkroomrat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkroomrat

I'm having the same issue of driver_irql_not_less_or_equal amdsbs.sys. This is making my old Vista Home HP computer from 2007 look good.

I hope there is an easy way to solve this or hopefully I can send this back without any hassle, because I don't have the time to mess with it.

killerflea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killerflea
raigan wrote:The hard drives on mine were installed wrong. The SSD is labeled as the DataDrive and is empty and the 2TB drive is labeled as OS and has the OS installed. Great job, HP, great job. Without OS restore disks or any way to make one, this is not fixable by the user. I think I fixed the IRQ issue I was having by downloading the raid drivers from AMD then running the installer, then using the device manager to "update" the drivers from the download. Hasn't crashed since.

Do you have a link to the amd drivers you had installed and how did you install them?

killerflea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killerflea
jodeus wrote:Anyone see where this is:
Front Panel:
15-in-1 Card Reader: (SM, xD, MMC, SD, miniSD, CF I, CF II, MD, MS, MS Pro, MSD, MSPD, RS-MMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+)

I think I'm going crazy because I don't see a card reader anywhere, especially on the front panel.
Thanks.

-Jody

Yes it does have a card reader, just slide the bottom of the front cover downwards and you'll find it along with 2 usb ports. I'm trying to find a fix for the error code driver_irql_not_less_or_equal(amdsbs.sys) this computer should kick ass and did for a day. I don't want to return it, I just want it to work... the issue seems to be with windows 8 because same system will work with windows 7 above post has mentioned amd drivers he installed that seem to have fixed his.

darkroomrat

I was FINALLY able to boot into safe mode, ran the HP Support Assistant, and reloaded the AMD storage controller drivers. Forty minutes later, still no BSOD (yet).

Hopefully, it will keep chuggin' along without vapor lock.

petervhull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petervhull

Ditto with the issues.
Recieved mine yesterday and turned it on today and after the second boot up it started.
Sad, but a continual DRIVER_IRQL_etc error.
Already contacted Woot. Those support guys are gonna be putting in some OT.

mbilal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbilal

Same problem here: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (amdsbs.sys)

darkroomrat

I started transferring files overnight from my old computer to this new HP, and no reboots or errors to report. Looks like I don't have to send it back to Woot!

nwandersons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nwandersons

I haven't done any research on this, but if this is a Windows 8 issue, is there an opportunity to get these machines running on Windows 7? I know there are driver issues, but from what I'm reading, they seem to point to Windows 8. I'm thinking with an issue that is this widespread, that Woot/HP could come up with a solution to roll back these machines to Windows 7 to see if that solves the issue. Thoughts?

arunepoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arunepoon

Ok, I think I have a fix. Per a previous user's comments , I updated the aching RAID drivers and all seems to be well so far.

Here are the exact steps (and remember, for some you're under a timer because of the frequent restarts so best to wait until a fresh reboot)

1. Log into windows 8
2. From the tiles homepage, click Desktop
3. Bottom left, open Windows Explorer to access files on your computer
4. Right-click 'Computer' on the left hand shortcuts area and select 'manage'. The Computer Management window should appear.
5. Select 'Device Manager' from the left navigation pane
6. Click the small arrow next to 'Storage controllers' to expand the listing
7. Right-click 'AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller" and select 'Update Driver Software'
8. Select 'Search automatically for updated driver software'
9. Follow the remaining instructions to install and reboot

Hopefully, you will have reached success.

nwandersons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nwandersons
arunepoon wrote:Ok, I think I have a fix. Per a previous user's comments , I updated the aching RAID drivers and all seems to be well so far.

Here are the exact steps (and remember, for some you're under a timer because of the frequent restarts so best to wait until a fresh reboot)

1. Log into windows 8
4. Right-click 'Computer' on the left hand shortcuts area and select 'manage'. The Computer Management window should appear.
7. Right-click 'AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller" and select 'Update Driver Software'

Ok, I was able to do this successfully after a couple of attempts due to the error message popping up during the process. The computer has been on for about 10 minutes now and hasn't reverted to the error message. I'm going to leave it sitting for about an hour and see how stable it remains, but looks like this might be the trick! Thanks Arunepoon for the research and for sharing the information!

raigan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raigan
nwandersons wrote:Ok, I was able to do this successfully after a couple of attempts due to the error message popping up during the process. The computer has been on for about 10 minutes now and hasn't reverted to the error message. I'm going to leave it sitting for about an hour and see how stable it remains, but looks like this might be the trick! Thanks Arunepoon for the research and for sharing the information!

You can avoid the reboots and crashing if you get into safe mode to do the driver update. It's a bit different in Windows 8, but you need to go to advanced startup options inside Windows instead of mashing F8 at launch. Who thought that was a good idea? As for the users asking "Which drivers" they're just the latest RAID drivers listed on AMDs website specifically I have the 12.10 RAID drivers installed and everything is back to normal except the SSD issue. Very weird and unfixable since the recovery discs will just recover everything "as-is". I might have to strip Windows 8 off and install Windows 7 to even make use of the SSD.

robmaldo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robmaldo

I have emailed support@woot.com this morning to inquire about the very same issue with my ENVY as well.

After having spent several hours on the phone w/ HP, rebooting, testing, unplugging hardware, doing a system refresh and RESET they finally sent me out a batch of recovery DVDs.

I ran those last night and still nothing.

Hoping to hear a positive response from WOOT on this.

inkycatz

robmaldo wrote:I have emailed support@woot.com this morning to inquire about the very same issue with my ENVY as well.

After having spent several hours on the phone w/ HP, rebooting, testing, unplugging hardware, doing a system refresh and RESET they finally sent me out a batch of recovery DVDs.

I ran those last night and still nothing.

Hoping to hear a positive response from WOOT on this.

Thanks for letting us know you've mailed in!

mbilal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbilal

I have to say I am very disappointed with woot, and I am going to limit the value of my woot purchases to $50 – my write off limit. Woot is great when everything goes right but this HP computer transaction showed that if something goes wrong with your purchase, you are on your own. Don’t expect any help from woot.

I was having the same DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (amdsbs.sys) problem from the moment I received the computer. I sent an email to support@woot.com on Sunday November 4. I haven’t heard back yet. Luckily the solution was as simple as updating the RAID driver as indicated by arunepoon on Nov 4, 2012 2:29 PM in this forum (Thank you very much!). But next time we may not be so lucky. So woot, you’re dead to me for big items :-(

CindyKS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CindyKS

When is my HP Envy going to be shipped?

inkycatz

CindyKS wrote:When is my HP Envy going to be shipped?

Hi there!
If you're having order concerns, please feel free to contact support@woot.com for assistance.

sweetheartko

arunepoon wrote:Ok, I think I have a fix. Per a previous user's comments , I updated the aching RAID drivers and all seems to be well so far.

1. Log into windows 8

Thank you it worked!!! I don't have to send back.

joeymalcomb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeymalcomb

1. Log into windows 8

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. Constant reboot cycle. I've tried this solution. but it tells me that the driver is up to date and I'm still stuck.
I have contacted Woot's customer support about getting a new computer or a refund. It was working so well day #1. I should have never turned it off!

jodeus

1. Log into windows 8

Thanks for the instructions. Received my replacement PC yesterday, hooked it up today and within two minutes got the error. After updating the RAID controller and rebooting.....no errors.

Also, found the card reader...wow I feel dumb at times.

-Jody