hobocannibal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hobocannibal
au79 wrote:http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7450

The graphics card doesn't seem that great...

I was thinking that myself, but swap out the power supply and graphics card and it will be great!

However... the advert doesn't say what the motherboard is, which is vital information in this case.

exador1955

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exador1955
joeymalcomb wrote:I've been considering building my own PC, but this seems like more than what I was planning to build and around my budget...
Anyone know if I could realistically build something better than this for the same price?

Yes, I think you could meet the price point. I would use a Intel 7 processor and an Asus board - get more slots than 4. IMO always use nvidia graphics. I use dual 10,000 rpm raptor drives in RAID but i'm in a graphics production environment. Get a nice power supply - at least 800 watts with 2 6 pins for a good graphics card. If it's your first build, YouTube has a lot of good video help.

exador1955

hobocannibal wrote:I was thinking that myself, but swap out the power supply and graphics card and it will be great!

However... the advert doesn't say what the motherboard is, which is vital information in this case.

If it's HP that means they want to earn at least 40% so they are using the cheapest parts. Better to build your own.

exador1955

technologygeek110589 wrote:Hey Joey,

I am in the same position as you. I am just about to build a system and wondered if I could build something better for the same price.

I know this isn't exactly the question you asked but I decided to see how much it would cost if I put together the same pieces myself. I went to Newegg and built a computer using all the specs listed here on woot. the price came out to about $800.00 and that doesn't include buying the operating system so I'd say this is a great deal.

However, It kinda takes all the fun out of building my own PC. So I'm still going to pay $950 to build my PC which is still has better specs than this one listed at $999.99.

Hey Joey,
Remember, then you build your own it's with standard parts. HP uses custom outsourced stuff. That's how they meet the price point and still make 30% cash.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

Currently my Win 7 is covering the bases and every time a new operating system gets out and has some time and use by thousands, the bugs and therefore the fixes start getting worked out. I held on to my XP for that reason and never messed with Vista. When I did change out I went with 7 and that had been in use close to a year. I may end up going to 8 but I will probably wait until at least the first service pack is out.

With that said, those that are willing and ready to jump to 8 are looking at a pretty good machine here for the price.

Goosedude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Goosedude

Ummm...how was windows 2000 crap?? You are craaazy....

ssirica wrote:This will be Microsoft's crap OS...their patter is to put out a good OS every other release and a crap one in between:
Windows 7 - good
Vista - crap
XP - good
Windows 2000 - crap
Windows 98 - good
windows 95 - crap

So if history repeats itself, and we know it does, this OS should be a steaming pile of Lama dung. My suggestion, buy the PC, reformat the drive, and install Win 7 64bit. Enioy!

-------------
WOOT! WOOOOT!!

txyoji

quality posts: 1 Private Messages txyoji
Gir6543 wrote:oh cool! an operating system that promises to interlock adds into the OS! i'm on board!

Its windows 8, not ubuntu 12.

justdrew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justdrew

Wasn't there an awful Microsoft Bob in there somewhere, or was the "Bob" just a horrid UI for Millenium?

ssirica wrote:This will be Microsoft's crap OS...their patter is to put out a good OS every other release and a crap one in between:
Windows 7 - good
Vista - crap
XP - good
Windows 2000 - crap
Windows 98 - good
windows 95 - crap

So if history repeats itself, and we know it does, this OS should be a steaming pile of Lama dung. My suggestion, buy the PC, reformat the drive, and install Win 7 64bit. Enioy!

earsoftheworld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earsoftheworld

While these specs are decent, there are a couple things to watch out for:
1. This is not a gaming system. The graphics card is way underpowered for serious gaming.
2. There's only one USB 3 port.
Other than that, it looks pretty good.

ewindisch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ewindisch
justdrew wrote:Wasn't there an awful Microsoft Bob in there somewhere, or was the "Bob" just a horrid UI for Millenium?

Bob was its own thing. It was released with Windows 95, but was a separate purchase.

Bob was a failure, but it wasn't as bad as people make it sound. I actually liked it quite a bit, but I liked it as a /GAME/. you could make rooms, customize them, etc. In fact, I think everyone in my house (especially the children, myself included) used Bob daily.

One thing we all liked was that we could customize our "desktop" to our preferences with separate logins. Windows 95 didn't have separate logins, this wasn't in a the consume releases until Windows 2000 / XP.

Also, there were a number of educational games that were available in Bob that weren't available outside of it...

Otherwise, the built-in applications were hit or miss. Some were as well designed as the Apple ones are today, and others were just horrid.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
zxinfinity wrote:Anyone else as shocked as me that woot is selling NEW HP PC's?

Edit: I remembered incorrectly. Only Windows 8 offered on this.

Here's a guess. HP built a decent # of them, anticipating a pretty good demand/acceptance of Windows 8. When the #'s didn't come though as projected for this w/Windows 8, HP dumped off the extras to Woot. Not that there's anything wrong with Woot selling them (a lot of the links in my research for this model popped up less than a week ago, it looked like),...

HoupaKing

quality posts: 6 Private Messages HoupaKing

On sale on Launch day! What a start for Windows 8!

Stay Hungry Stay Foolish

Assaeva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Assaeva
joeymalcomb wrote:Anyone know if I could realistically build something better than this for the same price?

For joey and anyone else wondering if they could build something better for less/equal: easily. If you're okay with assembling and diagnosing the computer yourself, you can get far, far better than this for the same price. Honestly, I can't believe they sell this thing for $1000, let alone $750.

I suppose for some the convenience of not needing to assemble and troubleshoot their PC is worth the premium, but it's really much simpler than most think it is.

mikedel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikedel
Windows 7 - good
Vista - crap
XP - good
Windows 2000 - crap
Windows 98 - good
windows 95 - crap

I have to correct you on this one. Windows 2000 was a great OS. I think you meant Windows ME, which was absolute crap.

whatsamattaU

Assaeva wrote:For joey and anyone else wondering if they could build something better for less/equal: easily. If you're okay with assembling and diagnosing the computer yourself, you can get far, far better than this for the same price. Honestly, I can't believe they sell this thing for $1000, let alone $750.

I suppose for some the convenience of not needing to assemble and troubleshoot their PC is worth the premium, but it's really much simpler than most think it is.

It is easier than believed, I agree, but time is money, and some of us are klutzy enough that we're better off not trying (not that I won't in the future, but I know my own weaknesses).

By the way, here's the CPU benchmark for the computer itself:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8120+Eight-Core

It says it's "more bang for the buck", but I've never owned an AMD processor computer.

CompWiz17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CompWiz17
ewindisch wrote:One thing we all liked was that we could customize our "desktop" to our preferences with separate logins. Windows 95 didn't have separate logins, this wasn't in a the consume releases until Windows 2000 / XP.

I believe that 95 did support separate logins. I had a windows 95 computer, years ago, and I do remember having different logins setup.

CompWiz17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CompWiz17
Windows 7 - good
Vista - crap
XP - good
Windows 2000 - crap
Windows 98 - good
windows 95 - crap

So, why do you consider Windows 2000 to be crap? Seems like that was one of the best OS's Microsoft ever made.

Assaeva

whatsamattaU wrote:It is easier than believed, I agree, but time is money, and some of us are klutzy enough that we're better off not trying (not that I won't in the future, but I know my own weaknesses).

I understand the concerns, and issues do come up in spite of the excellent guides and documentation for self-assembly. But I also think it's enriching an enriching experience to do it yourself (whether it works or not).

By the way, here's the CPU benchmark for the computer itself:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8120+Eight-Core

I'd love to say that Passmark is like the Wikipedia of benchmarks, but usually it's just completely misleading. The FX-8120 (and to a lesser extent, the 8320) only really shines in multi-threaded tasks. It has poor performance-per-core and per-clock, so even something as cheap as a Pentium G850 can outperform it in the many single-threaded tasks of everyday use (web browsing, listening to music, word processing, gaming, etc).

Don't get me wrong, it's still fast, and it's a pretty good value-oriented processor, but unless you're going to use all 8 threads (or really love overclocking and tweaking your hardware), there are better choices (even from AMD).

whatsamattaU

Someday, maybe I'll have time to try to put a computer together, not now. I am curious, believe me. I do try to help others with minor problems on their computers.

Assaeva wrote:I'd love to say that Passmark is like the Wikipedia of benchmarks, but usually it's just completely misleading. The FX-8120 (and to a lesser extent, the 8320) only really shines in multi-threaded tasks. It has poor performance-per-core and per-clock, so even something as cheap as a Pentium G850 can outperform it in the many single-threaded tasks of everyday use (web browsing, listening to music, word processing, gaming, etc).

Don't get me wrong, it's still fast, and it's a pretty good value-oriented processor, but unless you're going to use all 8 threads (or really love overclocking and tweaking your hardware), there are better choices (even from AMD).

Are these any more reliable guides? Simply use the find function of the browser and type in 8120 to find this processor quickly.
Multithread for all:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-02-Cinebench-11.5,Marque_fbrandx32,3143.html
and AMD only:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-02-Cinebench-11.5,3143.html

single thread: all
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-01-Cinebench-11.5,3142.html
and AMD only
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-01-Cinebench-11.5,Marque_fbrandx32,3142.html

Assaeva

whatsamattaU wrote:Are these any more reliable guides?

Absolutely. Tom's Hardware is one of my go-to sources for information like that. Another great source for information would be AnandTech, which lets you do direct comparisons between a variety of hardware.

Note that most resources don't have a lot of benchmarks for the FX-8120, but they do for the FX-8150. The 8150 is just a hair faster (5~10%), so you can generally get a good sense of how it compares.

I feel like I might've derailed this a bit. Sorry. Prebuilt computers are a bit of a sore spot for me.

nutmeg3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutmeg3
hobocannibal wrote:I was thinking that myself, but swap out the power supply and graphics card and it will be great!

This computer has a 460 Watt power supply. You could find another GPU. You should be able to find info in the service manual at HP support to select a better video card.
Motherboard info.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03353629&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5309965#N277

fshoemak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fshoemak
earsoftheworld wrote:While these specs are decent, there are a couple things to watch out for:
1. This is not a gaming system. The graphics card is way underpowered for serious gaming.
2. There's only one USB 3 port.
Other than that, it looks pretty good.

Reading seems to be a problem for the younger generation. I guess public schools are the problem.

Anyway accoding to the specs there are two usb 3 ports.

versed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages versed

I'll pass crap AMD CPU, its like putting a Kia engine in a Ferrari. Will never buy AMD again.

whatsamattaU

nutmeg3 wrote:This computer has a 460 Watt power supply. You could find another GPU. You should be able to find info in the service manual at HP support to select a better video card.
Motherboard info.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03353629&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5309965#N277

Thanks. For whatever reason, it wouldn't connect by clicking on it. I had to copy it. That helps though, because now I can see the manuals on this page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03353629&lang=en&lc=en&product=5309965&

Including quick setup guide:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03279259.pdf

Troubleshooting and maintenance guide:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03255541.pdf

Updating and servicing guide:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02871896.pdf

and setup poster:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03518032.pdf

Other links on the sides of the manual page can get you to other helpful resources.

grumlenz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grumlenz

What better video card suggestions do you all have for this? My usage would not include any gaming at all but would include HD video playback and editing as well as blu ray recording/authoring. I have a blu ray drive I do know it doesn't come with one I'm just not current on video cards.

Thanks!

svrommelvs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages svrommelvs

http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/h4a24aa.pdf

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/9-series-integrated/Pages/amd-970-chipset.aspx

Let's discuss, spec by spec!

CPU: The bulldozer line is kind of lousy, with a weird core system that pales in comparison to Intel's hyper-threading. Since this isn't a workstation anyway, most users would benefit more from a similarly priced, and faster, i5.

RAM: DDR 1333 RAM is the default for modern computers, 1600 would have been nice.

Mobo: 1 PCIe 2.0 16x is to be expected for this level PC, and SATA 6Gb/s will be appreciated for anyone who wants to experience the true upgrade that is an SSD. Also, integrated wireless and bluetooth is nice, though a linksys or antenna chipset is always better, if Win8 allows you to use the machine as an access point as Win7 can.

Optical: No Blu-Ray may bother some

GPU: A stripped 5000-series card with a 7000-series name. Ponderous. Invest in a $150 upgrade if you want to play anything from the last decade.

PSU: The worst part of the machine. 460W, non-80+ certified junk. I hope anyone who plans to upgrade this deal is ready to tear this part out, as well.

grumlenz wrote:What better video card suggestions do you all have for this? My usage would not include any gaming at all.

The one included will be fine for you. Gamers, myself included, are snobbish about this component.

would include HD video playback and editing as well as blu ray recording/authoring

Check AMD or other professional editing forum for drivers for the 5000-series. You may need a firepro or quaddro professional card for the pro-drivers, unless the Rivatuner unlock discussed http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246658-33-gaming-professional-graphics-cards#t1766438 there truly works. Are you looking for a workstation? This isn't a workstation.

farley999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages farley999
fshoemak wrote:Reading seems to be a problem for the younger generation. I guess public schools are the problem.

Anyway accoding to the specs there are two usb 3 ports.

Top Panel:
(2) USB 3.0
(1) Headphone Jack
(1) Microphone Jack
Front Panel:
15-in-1 Card Reader: (SM, xD, MMC, SD, miniSD, CF I, CF II, MD, MS, MS Pro, MSD, MSPD, RS-MMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+)
(2) USB 2.0
Rear Panel:
8-Channel (7.1) HD Audio
(4) USB 2.0
(1) RJ-45 LAN
(1) Optical Audio Out
Expansion Slots & Bays:
(3) PCI Express x1 Slots (available)
(1) PCI Express x16 Slots (occupied)
(1) Minicard (occupied)
(2) 5.25" Drive Bay (1 occupied)
(2) 3.5" Drive Bay (occupie

killerflea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killerflea

I was looking to build a new pc but could not match these specs for the the price, so I bought one. The video card is not that great but is a simple upgrade to change it out. Windows 8, AMD FX-8120 (3.1GHz) 8 core processor, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB hard drive, 802.11 b/g/n wireless, Blutooth 4.0, 2 USB 3.0 & 6 USB 2.0. Oh yeah, almost forgot it has Beats Audio. For around $300 I will put an AMD 7950 video card in this machine and have a decent decent gaming machine

canis39

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canis39

If you're going to do much gaming you're going to want a better power supply. I don't understand why all pre-built computers come with ridiculously small power supplies.

killerflea wrote:I was looking to build a new pc but could not match these specs for the the price, so I bought one. The video card is not that great but is a simple upgrade to change it out. Windows 8, AMD FX-8120 (3.1GHz) 8 core processor, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB hard drive, 802.11 b/g/n wireless, Blutooth 4.0, 2 USB 3.0 & 6 USB 2.0. Oh yeah, almost forgot it has Beats Audio. For around $300 I will put an AMD 7950 video card in this machine and have a decent decent gaming machine

killerflea

canis39 wrote:If you're going to do much gaming you're going to want a better power supply. I don't understand why all pre-built computers come with ridiculously small power supplies.

I must agree with you, thanks for the reminding me that I do have a 950W power supply I never used in a previous build that should work out for me.

luismarengo7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luismarengo7

Windows 8 is for tablets, not desktops. Before you buy a Windows 8 PC, go to a computer store and play with it for a while. Try doing normal, everyday tasks. No start button on the desktop. Metro apps that can't be closed. Having to 'swipe' your mouse to open the settings, switch windows, etc... I used the release candidate version of Windows 8 for the last month, which was free, and couldn't stand it. I can't imagine paying for it.

dkowal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dkowal

Based on the specs here, what is the most ideal way to add in HDMI? And if you could provide a URL that would be fantastic!! Thanks so much!

dak970

killerflea

dkowal wrote:Based on the specs here, what is the most ideal way to add in HDMI? And if you could provide a URL that would be fantastic!! Thanks so much!

This computer has a HDMI port all you need is a HDMI cable to conect to your TV/HDMI capable monitor.

chainsol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chainsol
luismarengo7 wrote:Windows 8 is for tablets, not desktops. Before you buy a Windows 8 PC, go to a computer store and play with it for a while. Try doing normal, everyday tasks. No start button on the desktop. Metro apps that can't be closed. Having to 'swipe' your mouse to open the settings, switch windows, etc... I used the release candidate version of Windows 8 for the last month, which was free, and couldn't stand it. I can't imagine paying for it.

Agreed. To all who are quoting that you can use it like win7, you can't. There is no start menu, only a whole screen dealie. Most of the "cool" apps are metro, and to close them is a pain with a mouse. Multitasking is mostly impossible, with a mouse at least. Win8 is literally the worst thing they've tried.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

I'm trying out a copy of Win8 as I type. You can close Modern* apps on a desktop by either ALT-F4 or by grabbing the top and dragging it to the bottom of the screen.

Yes, it is very tablet like and will probably be better on a tablet. Having multiple apps visible at the same time is awkward, though the Win+. shortcut helps. In fact, there are a lot of Win+ combos that help a lot. Try Win+X to get a power user menu, for example.

But most important, there is in fact a Woot! app, so don't worry about that.

*There was apparently a trademark issue with "Metro", so MS isn't using that name any more.

jaburg

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jaburg

For MOST people, this would be a mistake unless you already have a touch-screen monitor. Windows 8 is rock-solid and stupid-fast and I am a big fan. However, I am also a professional and know all the keyboard shortcuts that make it more usable without touch.

You are forewarned.

jaburg

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jaburg

There is also a great free app called Vistart that you can install that gives you back the old Start Orb and Menu. Skinnable too, if you are into that.

whatsamattaU

Edit: for the more mainstream person, PC Magazine has their own Windows 8 section and is more optimistic that Maximum PC:
http://www.pcmag.com/windows-8/

Below is Maximum PC's guide to Windows 8. The magazine is geared a bit more toward a techy person, but it gives me hope that it is manageable with a few tips (overall, they're not happy with the changes, even though some of the changes from Windows 7 are wonderful):
http://www.maximumpc.com/tags/windows_8

By the way, in addition to their main review article, they have several side articles, but the biggest tips I'm going to try to remember are the navigation ones, particularly to get to the desktop:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/big_guide_20_tips_and_tricks_get_most_out_windows_8431

4. Hot Corners Are Your Friends
5. Hotkeys Are Your Friends, Too

Unless you’re rocking a touchscreen PC, navigating your way around the Metro UI interface (and its horizontal-friendly apps) can be a bit of a drag. So don’t use your mouse; Use your keyboard. Check out some of these helpful hotkeys for flying through the OS and controlling its many elements: (I snipped 3)
· Windows Key + I – Opens up your ever-important Settings Menu
· Windows Key + T – Dumps you back to Desktop Mode and cycles through your open windows on the taskbar.
· Windows Key + M – Jumps to the Desktop and minimizes all applications

6. The PC Settings Panel is Your Best Friend

Read the article(s) if you like.

mnevenflow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mnevenflow

Got mine today. Within 1 hour it was stuck in an endless boot cycle because of an error.
I am refreshing my pc's os now even though literally the only thing I did was create 2 logins before the error started. Luckily, my wife had already wandered off so I haven't had to deal with her wrath of "why'd you buy a POS?" yet.
Not a good start for Win 8 and HP.

mnevenflow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mnevenflow

I looked around a bit this morning on Windows forums and found this error seems to be known and related to RAID drives using AMD controllers and Win 8. The error is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (amdsbs.sys). It seems to be an error known since test versions of Win 8, but I haven't seen a guide for how to fix the computer yet. I have some concerns since I can't get to a working screen on the computer anymore it will be a harder fix.