zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

smittypap

quality posts: 6 Private Messages smittypap

How much to downgrade?

Crap

Supersox

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Supersox

I like the little bit of red on it! It's pretty!

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

Oh yeah Windows 8!

psm321

quality posts: 20 Private Messages psm321

The Windows 8 plague has been unleashed!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Here's some info on Windows 8.

The following Wikipedia article gives a good, concise explanation of the different versions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions

This is the official Microsoft chart of the differences.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/compare

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dkowal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dkowal

The specs look really nice. And Windows 8 too. Tempted.

dak970

wire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wire

Windows 8? Which one?

devinescence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devinescence

Dang. That's a powerful PC. I'd probably pop a better videocard and power supply in there, but I've got those in my current tower already...

joeymalcomb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeymalcomb

I've been considering building my own PC, but this seems like more than what I was planning to build and around my budget...
Anyone know if I could realistically build something better than this for the same price?

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Sorry, y'all, I can't find much of anything, not even a manual. The best I can do so far is the product page:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-ENVY-All-in-One/H4A24AA

with spec sheet:
shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/h4a24aa.pdf

yes, it is indeed $999 list vs. $749.99 here.

ThunderThighs

Staff

wire wrote:Windows 8? Which one?

Look at my link to the Editions above. They're naming them different than they did for Windows 7.

There's Windows 8 (no suffix name) that is the basic edition aimed for home users. That's what is loaded on this machine.

There's also Windows 8 Pro, Windows RT, and Windows Enterprise.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Gir6543

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gir6543

oh cool! an operating system that promises to interlock adds into the OS! i'm on board!

Havokk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Havokk

OH BOY WINDOWS 8!!!!!! Ill take 8 mr.woot

blakem001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blakem001

I first thought this was a refrigerator when I saw the smaller image.

bmason3604

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bmason3604

I don't think I'm going to put Windows 8 on my desktop; seems like the OS is much better for tablets...

This PC seems pretty expensive though. AMD just released new FX cpu's which are actually a significant improvement over the previous generation, so I'm surprised this 8120 PC isn't priced less.

The 8-core processor is OK, although it's only good for multi-threaded applications, and single-threaded performance is pretty terrible. Plus, it will probably be hard to overclock this cpu, which is a must for the 8120 imo.

I've also seen better i7 builds that cost about the same on here that would be much better all-around PCs. I would pass on this PC and wait for an AMD FX 8320/50 or i7 3770 for about the same price..

Edit: 3 days ago on Woot, there was an i7 3770 PC, which is a much better processor than the 8120, for only $660, with the same gpu, ram, HDD, etc. Definitely wait, there will be better deals.

au79

quality posts: 3 Private Messages au79

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7450

The graphics card doesn't seem that great...

Scbeard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Scbeard

The machine is nice except for the videocard. Eww.

whobuy21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whobuy21

i made a purchase it says accepted,does that mean my purchase is out of stock because at the end of the day the purchase history will not show anything.

ThunderThighs

Staff

whobuy21 wrote:i made a purchase it says accepted,does that mean my purchase is out of stock because at the end of the day the purchase history will not show anything.

Well, you're pretty little color box is showing a purchase. It should show up in your purchase history within a few minutes and you should get an email confirmation as well.

dkowal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dkowal

After much review and research I went ahead and picked up one. The price is great for Windows 8 and all the features that come with this woot. Windows 8 achieves what Windows 7 does not; and that's the ability to properly utilize the AMD's FX-8120 8-cores. I'm happy with the purchase overall. I already have an Apple Macbook Pro (Retina) + and old Apple Macbook Air, and a dying Sony Vaio laptop w/ Window's 7. I wanted a new desktop to add to my home network with Windows 8.

Great woot, thanks!

dak970

Solonari

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Solonari

With the new procs out and the lower-end GPU, there will be no H8'n from me tonight.

Oh yes I did.

hoffou812

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoffou812

Not for nothing but newer is not always better. Lets count how many updates Vista and XP have......
Oh wait, I can't count that high!
The computer itself looks excellent but i'll skip windows 8 for awhile until the bugs are worked out! Just saying!

hoffou812

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoffou812
psm321 wrote:The Windows 8 plague has been unleashed!

Yep, let the screaming begin!

jchkao1125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchkao1125
whatsamattaU wrote:Sorry, y'all, I can't find much of anything, not even a manual. The best I can do so far is the product page:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-ENVY-All-in-One/H4A24AA

with spec sheet:
shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/h4a24aa.pdf

yes, it is indeed $999 list vs. $749.99 here.

Can Woot staff or anyone confirm if it is indeed a 2 year warranty or just the 1 year warranty? The first link stated 1 year, but the 2nd link shows a 2 year warranty. The Woot page shows a 1 year warranty. If Woot staff or anyone can help I appreciate it. Thank you.

[MOD: Ours comes with a one-year warranty as stated on the Features tab. ]

rhmurphy

quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy

How much will it cost to upgrade to Windows 7? (Windows releases are like Star Trek movies: every other one is a disaster.)

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

rhmurphy

quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy
jchkao1125 wrote:Can Woot staff or anyone confirm if it is indeed a 2 year warranty or just the 1 year warranty? The first link stated 1 year, but the 2nd link shows a 2 year warranty. The Woot page shows a 1 year warranty. If Woot staff or anyone can help I appreciate it. Thank you.

Since the Woot page says that it carries a 1 year HP warranty, I'm pretty sure that's what it has. If you want the 2 year, you'll have to buy it from HP. Or, buy it from Woot and get the 3 year warranty through Square Trade, which is still cheaper than the HP price for 2 years.

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
smittypap wrote:How much to downgrade?

Linux upgrades are free for any computer, dunno if a W7 downgrade is available.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

chrisalb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisalb

I have played with Wimdows 8 already and I am not a fan. While the PC looks like a decent system, I would not want 8 pre-loaded on it.

catherinemcclarey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages catherinemcclarey

Since our family typically buys lower-end gaming PCs, the specs on this desktop computer sound just fine. If we were in the market for replacing one of our desktop PCs, my spouse & I would certainly be considering this. (My PC budget is currently paying for my daughter's college applications & SAT/ACT test reports, though. ;( )

ssirica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssirica

This will be Microsoft's crap OS...their patter is to put out a good OS every other release and a crap one in between:
Windows 7 - good
Vista - crap
XP - good
Windows 2000 - crap
Windows 98 - good
windows 95 - crap

So if history repeats itself, and we know it does, this OS should be a steaming pile of Lama dung. My suggestion, buy the PC, reformat the drive, and install Win 7 64bit. Enioy!

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple

Nice set of hardware...

- don't go with it simply because it has Windows 8. Windows 7 is a good operating system.

- if you don't understand the system specs of this PC then you're paying about $250 more for a system than you need. There are lots of $400-500 systems whose performance would 'feel' about the same to the average user doing typical things.

Terburn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Terburn
rhmurphy wrote:How much will it cost to upgrade to Windows 7? (Windows releases are like Star Trek movies: every other one is a disaster.)

My understanding is there is no charge to downgrade if you have the PRO version. However you have to provide the new operating system.

fourthmeal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fourthmeal

IMO they broke tradition, as I'm typing to you on a Win8 Developer preview-equipped PC, and I'm pleased with it.

The extra security and sandboxing alone is reason to upgrade, I think. The fact it actually runs faster than 7, boots and shuts down quicker too, and consumes less energy is all something to consider.

Some of the touchscreen friendly features are a little strange in mouse-land, but if you are used to clicking on the keyboard for your "windows" key then Win 8's way of getting to all your apps and programs is a breeze.

Remember, you can stay in desktop just like 7, or you can use the Start page like a tablet's set of swipe-able pages. You pick.

As for this machine, I'd rather have a Core i7 but it isn't bad. Having an HP machine means you have HP support, which some equate to the same as "no support at all." So, be careful for that.

ssirica wrote:This will be Microsoft's crap OS...their patter is to put out a good OS every other release and a crap one in between:
Windows 7 - good
Vista - crap
XP - good
Windows 2000 - crap
Windows 98 - good
windows 95 - crap

So if history repeats itself, and we know it does, this OS should be a steaming pile of Lama dung. My suggestion, buy the PC, reformat the drive, and install Win 7 64bit. Enioy!

budsdre

quality posts: 1 Private Messages budsdre

Don't be so hard on Windows 2000...you forgot Millenium, that was the inbetween crap one...

ssirica wrote:This will be Microsoft's crap OS...their patter is to put out a good OS every other release and a crap one in between:
Windows 7 - good
Vista - crap
XP - good
Windows 2000 - crap
Windows 98 - good
windows 95 - crap

spcyhknBC

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spcyhknBC
joeymalcomb wrote:I've been considering building my own PC, but this seems like more than what I was planning to build and around my budget...
Anyone know if I could realistically build something better than this for the same price?

I'd say this is actually a pretty good deal for your budget. You could probably build a "better" machine for the same price, but the hassel of not having to do it yourself must count for something. Also, if any part breaks, you just bother HP customer service, whereas if you build it yourself you'll have to track down the broken bits and then send them in and so on.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
Windows 7 - good
Vista - crap
XP - good
Windows 2000 - crap
Windows 98 - good
windows 95 - crap

Windows 95 was a brand new concept- you can't really consider it crap

Windows ME was crap (you forgot that one)

Windows 2000 was a good very stable system that was a progenitor to XP

Windows 8 would be good, if when you switched to the desktop version- it allowed you to function exactly like windows 7. I like where they going making an OS that will also support ARM processors- and in fact this is like an innovator of OS. What I don't like is microsoft trying to shove the metrosexual tile theme down our throats. It's fine that it's there, but when I am desktop mode- I would prefer that it operate the old way.

zxinfinity

quality posts: 18 Private Messages zxinfinity

Anyone else as shocked as me that woot is selling NEW HP PC's?

GravitaZ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GravitaZ
zxinfinity wrote:Anyone else as shocked as me that woot is selling NEW HP PC's?

I was just going to comment on that. I thought they scrapped the department.

Bababooey is FaFafooey

technologygeek110589

quality posts: 0 Private Messages technologygeek110589
joeymalcomb wrote:I've been considering building my own PC, but this seems like more than what I was planning to build and around my budget...

Hey Joey,

I am in the same position as you. I am just about to build a system and wondered if I could build something better for the same price.

I know this isn't exactly the question you asked but I decided to see how much it would cost if I put together the same pieces myself. I went to Newegg and built a computer using all the specs listed here on woot. the price came out to about $800.00 and that doesn't include buying the operating system so I'd say this is a great deal.

However, It kinda takes all the fun out of building my own PC. So I'm still going to pay $950 to build my PC which is still has better specs than this one listed at $999.99.