WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Powerbag Chargers For The Power Hungry

You know what they say about the abuse of power...it's impossible! For those whose lust for power simply cannot be sated, we offer these nifty bags that let you charge almost any gadget from anywhere. Just remember: Power corrupts nothing -- so you're fine. 
Powerbag official site

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

You can never have too many chargers - or can you? Anyone have one of these to review for us?

I'm just hanging out, really.

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

Just FYI, I paid $40 for a 10000 mAh portable battery (admittedly from another daily deal website). It was the Anker Astro 3. The main reason I opted for this as opposed to some of the more mainstream or compact batteries is my tablet.

I have a Motorola Xoom (from Woot), and as anyone else with one knows, it cannot charge via a USB power supply. The bonus of the Anker Astro 3 is it has a 9/12 volt DC output in addition to the typical USB output (although I had to make a custom adaptor for the Xoom out of a leftover charger).

Anyway, sorry to go on a tangent about a totally different charger. I just wanted to warn people to 1) shop around cause I think there may be better deals on better batteries and 2) know what you're charging and how effective it will be. The batteries here are great for a cell phone or something small. You can usually read your cell battery capacity right off the battery which will give you a good idea of whether these will work for you. For instance my Galaxy S2 uses an 1850mAh battery. So the larger charger here (not counting the bags) would only be good for just over one full charge, and the other couldn't even handle a full charge.

jessiecausey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jessiecausey
countdown wrote:Just FYI, I paid $40 for a 10000 mAh portable battery (admittedly from another daily deal website). It was the Anker Astro 3. The main reason I opted for this as opposed to some of the more mainstream or compact batteries is my tablet.

Sooo are you going to tell us where you got it?

pjladyfox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjladyfox

Saw these and was excited until I read some of the reviews over at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Powerbag-Charging-Smartphones-eReaders-RFAP-0123F/dp/B005JLQL26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350918741&sr=8-1

For the price, if your not looking for something fancy, they're not bad but it may be a good idea to save the monies and buy something better.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 37 Private Messages jiggersgreen
jessiecausey wrote:Sooo are you going to tell us where you got it?

Found this but no nothing about the site.
http://androidspin.com/2012/07/02/deal-alert-anker-astro-3-10000-mah-battery-backup-for-40/

kabulykos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kabulykos

If you want the standalone external battery — you can get a 5000mAh one from my favorite secret ever, Monoprice

Fun fact: I first heard about Monoprice from a Best Buy employee of all people.

woottj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woottj

They need to have the measurement of the "portable" chargers under specs.

I guessing that the larger charger is three "iPhone" plug wide!

09/23/12 9:59
ok the dimensions are now under spec. Thanks Woot

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
jessiecausey wrote:Sooo are you going to tell us where you got it?

It was dailysteals (can I mention that site here? feels like blasphemy). The deal is obviously gone and I haven't seen it since so I didn't see much value in providing the site. Curiosity can be maddening though ;)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

woottj wrote:They need to have the measurement of the "portable" chargers under specs.

I guessing that the larger charger is three "iPhone" plug wide!

09/23/12 9:59
ok the dimensions are now under spec. Thanks Woot

I passed your request on.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lmorchard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmorchard

FWIW, I have the 6000mAh version of the myCharge battery. It's surprisingly handy, and I've used all the built-in cables at least once.

I would have maybe gone for the 3000 mAh in retrospect, though: I've *never* run this thing dry. But, I've found it slightly handy to have the battery in one pocket and my smartphone in the other, with a USB cord run through my belt loops. The 6000 mAh is a tad bulky to be doing this, though I do it anyway.

Dorky as hell, yes, but: My phone never dies at conferences or during travel; I don't have to carry a charger or a bag; and I usually have juice left over to rescue friends' and co-workers' phones as they croak.

SilentLegend

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SilentLegend

I would be really into these if we had better Android support. Most of the 3rd party chargers only charge at USB speed.

canard358

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canard358

I purchased the "6000 mAh" back pack. I just looked at the battery and found it is only 3000 mAh. I have had the pack for about a month now and it has worked just fine I'm just feeling more than a little ripped off.

If any one else wants to check. The specs on the battery aren't listed in mAh. The battery is marked as "7.4 Volts 22.2 Wh. To get mAh you have to divide Wh by Volts.

22.2 Wh / 7.4 Volts = 3 Ah or 3000 mAh

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

canard358 wrote:I purchased the "6000 mAh" back pack. I just looked at the battery and found it is only 3000 mAh. I have had the pack for about a month now and it has worked just fine I'm just feeling more than a little ripped off.

If any one else wants to check. The specs on the battery aren't listed in mAh. The battery is marked as "7.4 Volts 22.2 Wh. To get mAh you have to divide Wh by Volts.

22.2 Wh / 7.4 Volts = 3 Ah or 3000 mAh

If you feel you didn't get the product you thought you were getting, please email support@woot.com.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders