2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

capguncowboy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages capguncowboy

This sound bar is $99.88 at Amazon and ships free with Prime. I expected a better deal to be honest.

EDIT: Link http://www.amazon.com/Philips-CSS2123-SoundBar-Cinema-Speakers/dp/B007B5WHTE

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3658 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

can anyone give me some first hand experience with this? I was actually researching sound bars the last few hours so this came up at a perfect time!

Was some one at Woot! tracking my browsing history?

danielm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danielm

Also at Amazon, one of the captions Philips provides for the drawings is "Virtual surround sound technology offers premium audio with less components."

LESS components? Really? Time to sic the techWoot! beta grammar police on the mother ship!

shushine999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages shushine999
danielm wrote:Also at Amazon, one of the captions Philips provides for the drawings is "Virtual surround sound technology offers premium audio with less components."

LESS components? Really? Time to sic the techWoot! beta grammar police on the mother ship!

Did you not read the Woot! description? They are on it like white on rice, my friend.

Ozzie2191

quality posts: 52 Private Messages Ozzie2191

Was at my grandmother's earlier today and she has one of these because she wanted to hear the TV better (sounds silly, I know, but this is how she does stuff).

Great, very loud sound. Did not notice any distortion. The big box does bass, if it's the same model as hers, and thumps it hard.

**Witty signature fail**Out of cheese error**Redo from start**

rangerdoc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rangerdoc

CR's Take:

Rated 40 with the top Soundbar at 59 and the lowest at 19.

This low-priced 2.1-channel soundbar from Philips delivers good sound quality, so most non-critical listeners will likely find it sufficient for both music and movie playback. This model does not come with a disc player, so it's best for those who already have a video player or who'd like to add one at a later date, and who want a basic soundbar but are not interested in the latest in Blu-ray sound-decoding technologies, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Detailed test results

Sound quality: Philips's CSS2123 had good sound quality. Bass has good impact and decent definition, but deep bass is lacking. Midrange is smooth and even, but very slightly muffled. Treble has good extension, but upper treble sounds a bit rolled off. There's decent recovery of low-level detail and room ambience, but both bass and midrange distortion can be heard with some program material. The virtual-surround mode setting reduces sound quality; though it slightly increases the apparent soundstage depth, it reduces the width and height, producing a tunnel-like effect. The soundbar can provide satisfying volume levels in a medium-sized room.

Ease of use: We found this soundbar easy to set up, but the remote control features and ease of use were just fair. The console controls--or lack thereof (there wasn't even an on/off switch, so the remote is needed)--were judged poor overall.

Samus

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Samus
conanthelibrarian wrote:can anyone give me some first hand experience with this? I was actually researching sound bars the last few hours so this came up at a perfect time!

Was some one at Woot! tracking my browsing history?

The only soundbar you should be considering is the Polk IHT 6000. If you don't have the space, consider the IHT 4000 which is shorter in width but has two less speakers in the bar (dropping the total wattage.)

If you don't have at least $400 to spend, save your money, because anything under $400 will be mildly, if any, better than your built-in speakers.

Read AVSFORUMS, HOME THEATER MAGAZINE, etc, and you'll see my recommendations are correct. The IHT 6000 is the best soundbar in its price range (that being $300-$600)

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet

i think people get so high-strung when it comes to these things.

it looks good, it sounds better than any TV speaker you'd likely ever consider putting in your room if you're even LOOKING at the possibility of getting one of these.

and it's cheap.

yeah i got sony's soundbar and wireless sub, another set of sony corded soundbars all because my room is currently rocking a 55" and a 32" bravia and they make syncing super easy.

for all intents and purposes...if you're looking for a cheap, relatively elegant solution and your media room isn't an auditorium filled with elite socialites...these might just work for you.

eastcobbler

quality posts: 9 Private Messages eastcobbler

This should be a great alternative for people who buy the $350 tvs on woot. save the $400 speakers for a way nicer tv.

Samus wrote:The only soundbar you should be considering is the Polk IHT 6000. If you don't have the space, consider the IHT 4000 which is shorter in width but has two less speakers in the bar (dropping the total wattage.)

If you don't have at least $400 to spend, save your money, because anything under $400 will be mildly, if any, better than your built-in speakers.

Read AVSFORUMS, HOME THEATER MAGAZINE, etc, and you'll see my recommendations are correct. The IHT 6000 is the best soundbar in its price range (that being $300-$600)

josephwhit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josephwhit

i am curious.. could i use these with just an xbox 360 and a tv? hard to tell from the pictures but would i plug the video component wires into the tv and the audio into this? i dont use hdmi, just hd component cables

Samus

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Samus
rhycochet wrote:i think people get so high-strung when it comes to these things.

it looks good, it sounds better than any TV speaker you'd likely ever consider putting in your room if you're even LOOKING at the possibility of getting one of these.

and it's cheap.

yeah i got sony's soundbar and wireless sub, another set of sony corded soundbars all because my room is currently rocking a 55" and a 32" bravia and they make syncing super easy.

for all intents and purposes...if you're looking for a cheap, relatively elegant solution and your media room isn't an auditorium filled with elite socialites...these might just work for you.

It's not "high strung" but simple cost and effect.

Most sound bars have no effect and they're not free, making them worthless. My Samsung TV has lower THD than 90% of the soundbars on the market under $200. Sure, a sound bar adds slightly more volume (very slightly in the case of this 30w) and some worthless boom, but hey, there's a very simple reason you have $100 and $450 products that may appear very similar. The $100 ones have the same stuff thats in your TV, and the $450 ones don't.

kgamon

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kgamon

In regards to the disclaimer that this cannot be shipped to APO due to the lithium battery... Where is the lithium battery in this thing? Doesn't it just plug into the wall? I just bought a similar sound bar(higher end, slightly higher price) from W-Mart last week, and they seemed happy to ship it to me at APO. I was thinking this might be good for my upstairs TV, but foiled again by this lithium battery nonsense. Somebody's shipping lithium batteries internationally, as they all come from China anyway. Wakko Talks Faboo!?

Ryukyu King

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kgamon wrote:In regards to the disclaimer that this cannot be shipped to APO due to the lithium battery... Where is the lithium battery in this thing? Doesn't it just plug into the wall? I just bought a similar sound bar(higher end, slightly higher price) from W-Mart last week, and they seemed happy to ship it to me at APO. I was thinking this might be good for my upstairs TV, but foiled again by this lithium battery nonsense. Somebody's shipping lithium batteries internationally, as they all come from China anyway. Wakko Talks Faboo!?

We don't make the rules, we just follow them. The lithium battery is in the remote. Sorry.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jalexan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jalexan

My mom bought a crappy Sam's club LCD and the speakers are absolutely horrible and tinny. She was just complaining to me about it yesterday, so this timing is perfect! Even if this thing isn't audiophile approved, I'm sure she will be very happy with it.

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
Samus wrote:It's not "high strung" but simple cost and effect.

Most sound bars have no effect and they're not free, making them worthless. My Samsung TV has lower THD than 90% of the soundbars on the market under $200. Sure, a sound bar adds slightly more volume (very slightly in the case of this 30w) and some worthless boom, but hey, there's a very simple reason you have $100 and $450 products that may appear very similar. The $100 ones have the same stuff thats in your TV, and the $450 ones don't.

Why post a comment like yours with regard to this $69 product and suggest that peeps should spend several hundred dollars more to get a better one?? Hey, people can always spend more but what people are looking at here is some bang for their limited bucks! This item comes with a sub and the only drawback is in the specs: Total Power : 60W RMS @ 30% THD

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Sound bars are a gimmick and a poor value at that. Separate speakers provide far superior bass and imaging at the same price point. I can't believe that people would choose to have 1" main speakers.

Jessenyk75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jessenyk75
Samus wrote:The only soundbar you should be considering is the Polk IHT 6000. If you don't have the space, consider the IHT 4000 which is shorter in width but has two less speakers in the bar (dropping the total wattage.)

That's ridiculous. We're talking the difference between $70 and $400!?! I picked one of these up at Wallyworld last year for about $100 bucks and couldn't be happier. I never expected surround sound... for Pete's sake there's 2 speakers, but the difference between this unit and the built in sound on an lcd is night and day.
It gives me crisp and full sound (again keeping price in mind) and really fills the room. They claim if you put it in just the right place in some perfect sized room you'll get surround sound, but I don't care enough to try.

If you're looking for a nice, cheap unit to replace your tinny tv speakers and make your xbox sessions more fun, this is a good buy. If you are an audiophile and money is no option I'm not sure why you would even read this thread.

ksheeha1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ksheeha1

I have 2 inexpensive soundbars that I use with the Apple airport to stream music from Itunes. These inexpensive soundbars are a great way to get music around your home. I bought the airports used on ebay. Along with my AV receiver, I now have music all over my house. This also will work using Airfoil to stream Internet Radio around your house. I do not own this brand so I cannot comment on the quaility, but I can comment that I love mine and these can be very cost effective. I am thinking about this one to use outdoors to compete with my neighbors Rap music. I think they should enjoy my Barry Manilow.

ccchghtwr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ccchghtwr
josephwhit wrote:i am curious.. could i use these with just an xbox 360 and a tv? hard to tell from the pictures but would i plug the video component wires into the tv and the audio into this? i dont use hdmi, just hd component cables

Yes, you can do that. OR.... You could run an optical cable from the Xbox 360(slim only?) into the sound bar for digital audio. That's what Abraham Lincoln would do if he gamed.

dalem589

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dalem589

Maybe "defensive" is a better word. It's an opinion folks, not the word of God. Thanks for your opinion. I will consider it, as I will others.

ccchghtwr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ccchghtwr

I hate you...

Just kidding.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
narquespamley wrote:Sound bars are a gimmick and a poor value at that. Separate speakers provide far superior bass and imaging at the same price point. I can't believe that people would choose to have 1" main speakers.

You are missing the point of a sound bar. Because of their thinness new TVs have crappy sound. There is no way to get decent sound without the proper speaker enclosure size. A soundbar can give you decent, not great, sound without taking up lots of space and without complication.

With that said, separates will not cost the same. At least not ones that will sound better. Not to mention that separates are more difficult to set up and take up more space. Then you have to factor in the cost of an amplifier and you just blew the budget.

jbnlsd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbnlsd
conanthelibrarian wrote:can anyone give me some first hand experience with this? I was actually researching sound bars the last few hours so this came up at a perfect time!

I have this model hooked up to my TV and Apple TV in my apartment. At normal volumes (watching TV, background music), it's a little better than the TV speakers. However, when its cranked up, it starts to shine. The little sub picks up and provides a good rumble during movies and music.

I was looking for something simple and affordable that can provide a more immersive experience and it does the job for me.

dalem589

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dalem589

I use mine in a family room, where it is not practical, or esthetically pleasing, to run speaker wires around the room, or even place speakers wirelessly around the room. The sub sits along side of the credenza that the TV in on, and the bar is in back of the TV. It is fairly unobtrusive, and the sounds comes from the area of the TV so it sounds natural. I am not using this exact soundbar, but you get the idea. It makes a huge difference anywhere that good sound matters, such as series like Grimm, Dancing With the Stars, sports etc. Soundbars really do have a place in many homes, and can be a great solution between the truly awful TV sound and a room full of speakers, with an amplifier etc..

jbnlsd wrote:I have this model hooked up to my TV and Apple TV in my apartment. At normal volumes (watching TV, background music), it's a little better than the TV speakers. However, when its cranked up, it starts to shine. The little sub picks up and provides a good rumble during movies and music.

I was looking for something simple and affordable that can provide a more immersive experience and it does the job for me.

narquespamley

adr5 wrote:You are missing the point of a sound bar. Because of their thinness new TVs have crappy sound. There is no way to get decent sound without the proper speaker enclosure size. A soundbar can give you decent, not great, sound without taking up lots of space and without complication.

I agree. There is no way to get decent sound without the proper speaker enclosure size. And this soundbar, like most, lacks it. Bose destroyed audio sensibility with the idea that you could sprinkle a bunch of 1-2" speakers around a room and fill in the bass from a single sub-woofer. It doesn't work that way.

The low end on these "woofers" is going to be in the 200-300Hz range. That's just barely enough to capture the voice range. So no imaging whatsoever on low frequencies since you're relying entirely on the sub.

Sure, buy a soundbar if you don't want the wires and don't have the room. But a home theater in a box (yes, includes amplifier) will get you better sound than a soundbar at the same price point.

bhaschalk

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bhaschalk

I don't have this model, but did want to put out some important info for anyone looking to get this, or any model that comes with wireless subwoofer(s).

I bought the "Boston Acoustics Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer TVee Model 25" a few weeks ago and barring a small random popping from one of the bars speaker once in a while, it sounds awesome.

BUT! Be aware, if you aren't already, that the transmission frequency of the wireless is 2.4Ghz, which is the same as your router (802.11). I stream movies through my xbox 360 all the time, and the minute I turned on the subwoofer, my movies started freezing and buffering constantly, and there's nothing more annoying than this.

After trying everything everyone in the universe suggests (switching to another channel on the router, switching to another channel on the subwoofer, moving the subwoofer, moving the router etc.) nothing was a perfect solution, and I still had buffering issues.

Out of anger and frustration I shot from the hip and figured I'd buy a fancy shmancy new router and throw some power at it and bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-Gigabit-WNDR4500/dp/B005KG44V0/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350310649&sr=1-4&keywords=netgear+dual+band+router

Well it helped, but I got extremely lucky on the purchase, a dual band router transmits on two frequencies, 2.4 and 5, AND I already owned the dual band wireless N adapter for the xbox. While the beefy new 2.4 helped some, when I switched the xbox to look at the 5.0, voila, not a problem since the day. You can get dual band routers cheaper, but I have 4 kids and way too many devices, so it worked for me.

Hope this helps someone!

thedevin

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thedevin

There is no more annoying creature than the audiophile Wooter expressing his angsty contempt that this $70 speaker set pales in comparison to his $600 setup.

Here is a good rule of thumb: If your TV cost less than $500, this will be a meaningful upgrade. If your TV cost more than $500, then quit being so cheap and buy some nice speakers for it.

mshap34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mshap34

My current TV speakers are:

Speakers: 2 x 10W, 1 x 15W (subwoofer)

A lot of time I have trouble hearing what people are saying when I'm watching shows or movies and I was wondering if this set would beneficial since it doesn't seem like the specs are significantly better than my TV's.

tpowell05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpowell05

Hello All,

What kind of bass do you get from the sound bar? Should I expect surround sound bass from this? I am looking for something to turn my small family room into a theatre feel.

Thanks again!

hilgil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hilgil

Disagree...have one, sound is much much better than my tv speakers, sound from xbox is wonderful. Well worth full price.

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

My only experience with sound bars is my JVC unit I got from Costco recently. It was $189 and it is designed as a stand-alone. This means it has "bass" speakers, which are at the bottom of the bar and an optional connection for a wired sub-woofer.

I am totally happy with this setup as is. It's only replacing the totally useless speakers on my Samsung wall mounted TV. Since the TV is mounted on the bedroom wall in front of a large bed, there's no convenient space for a sub. Nor is one needed.

I don't know if this unit is better or not, but it's certainly priced nicely.

adr5 wrote:You are missing the point of a sound bar. Because of their thinness new TVs have crappy sound. There is no way to get decent sound without the proper speaker enclosure size. A soundbar can give you decent, not great, sound without taking up lots of space and without complication.

With that said, separates will not cost the same. At least not ones that will sound better. Not to mention that separates are more difficult to set up and take up more space. Then you have to factor in the cost of an amplifier and you just blew the budget.

slicey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slicey

I really appreciate all the comments on this thread. I've been shopping Amazon for a while now looking for a soundbar to purchase.

I regularly have to max the volume on my TV to hear certain programs or channels properly, so I knew I needed some external speakers, but I don't have a ton of space.

I've always gotten discouraged by the reviews of audiophiles dissing the product I'm considering, so I've been slow to buy. Now I know that this will be an adequate, cheap solution to my casual tv-watching and my xbox. If I ever put in a real home theatre, then I will purchase the fancy speaker system to match.

Easy purchase decision this time around; thanks.

rocketdoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rocketdoctor

I just have standard TV speakers and the main problem is I have to turn the volume up to understand the dialog. I know 5.1 speakers help with the center channel, does a sound bar help with this as well?

narquespamley

rocketdoctor wrote:I just have standard TV speakers and the main problem is I have to turn the volume up to understand the dialog. I know 5.1 speakers help with the center channel, does a sound bar help with this as well?

TV's generally have two speakers, so indeed it can be hard to resolve the center (dialog) channel which otherwise winds up mixed with the left and right. That said, this soundbar doesn't have a dedicated center speaker. Some people use soundbars as dedicated center speakers along with separate left and rights.

zbi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zbi

Good luck with Phillips refurbished products. Maybe your mom deserved another 30 $ for a new one ?

djshawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djshawn

If you're basing your comments even partially on THD, people should stop listening. Unless you are comparing products made by the same manufacturer utilizing the same spec measurement process the number is meaningless.

When buying audio, your ears should be the most important judge.

halnwheels

Look for Soundbars that have features designed for "hard of hearing". They do exist. Also, my JVC soundbar has spatial effects that can help. It's hard to buy an item like this without a real critical review BUT I have no doubt that even this one will outperform the miserable speakers that come standard in TV sets.

rocketdoctor wrote:I just have standard TV speakers and the main problem is I have to turn the volume up to understand the dialog. I know 5.1 speakers help with the center channel, does a sound bar help with this as well?

bwagner54

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bwagner54
shushine999 wrote:Did you not read the Woot! description? They are on it like white on rice, my friend.

Oh boy. We only eat black rice at our house!

halnwheels

OK Woot, what am I missing? The Specs say that standby power consumption is 0.21W. OK, and then power consumption is 20W. Yeah, but power output is 60W RMS. So for a device that produces more than it consumes, it's a great price! I'll take three! :-p