moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138
pooflady wrote:I wonder if baking soda would interfere with coloring.

Experiment on one.

Science!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 15 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks folks!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady

quality posts: 25 Private Messages pooflady
moles1138 wrote:Experiment on one.

Science!

Nah, I have too many to do and I don't want to do one first.

I think my guardian angel drinks.

marlenestclair

quality posts: 11 Private Messages marlenestclair
mbspell wrote:got the ok from son to post... he applied for the JET program next year and was accepted! he will have a JOB in Japan! and an apartment and a salary and a plane ticket to Japan! we won't know for a while where in Japan he'll be assigned, but that's ok. he won't be teaching, instead he'll be a CIR. CIRs work with local city and prefecture governments doing things like translation and outreach.

super excited for him (as he really had no plan B). not sure how long he'll be in Japan, and while we will miss him, I know he will be happy there.

Well that is wonderful news! I am jealous....my kid won't leave. One couldn't wait to bust the door down and this one will be with me forever! People wonder why I am medicated.....

x9

This space for rent.

marlenestclair

no1 wrote:nobody asked me, but if i only did what people asked i wouldn't be in here.

http://www.incredibleegg.org/cooking-school/egg-cookery/hard-boil-eggs/

"Now that you’ve mastered the art of hard-boiled eggs, how do you peel the eggs without making a mess? Very fresh eggs can be difficult to peel. To ensure easily peeled hard-boiled eggs, buy and refrigerate them a week to 10 days in advance of cooking. This brief “breather” allows the eggs time to take in air, which helps separate the membranes from the shell.

"Hard-boiled eggs are easiest to peel right after cooling. Cooling causes the egg to contract slightly in the shell.

"To peel a hard-boiled egg: Gently tap egg on countertop until shell is finely crackled all over. Roll egg between hands to loosen shell. Starting peeling at large end, holding egg under cold running water to help ease the shell off."

Wow, were you channeling Martha Stewart just then???

x9

This space for rent.

marlenestclair

pooflady wrote:Just about everything said here. Older eggs. Ice water as soon as done. Crack and start at the top because there's usually an air pocket there. And, frankly, sometimes none of this works.

I usually peel mine under cold, running, water. It usually depends on how cranky the hen was I always say.

x9

This space for rent.

pooflady

Checking the calendar. If it's okay with the kids' calendars, we'll probably color eggs on the 15th, so I need to buy them around the 6th. Will spend a good part of the 14th boiling them. Jeez, that's just next week. Better get my act together for what I'm feeding them on the 15th. Need to buy vinegar. Should tell the store manager he really ought to have a display of vinegar by the coloring kits.

pooflady

P.S. Eggs should be at room temperature before boiling.

mbspell

quality posts: 37 Private Messages mbspell

got crap!!

use the search bar on the main page. if there is crap available you should find it

mbspell

pooflady wrote:Checking the calendar. If it's okay with the kids' calendars, we'll probably color eggs on the 15th, so I need to buy them around the 6th. Will spend a good part of the 14th boiling them. Jeez, that's just next week. Better get my act together for what I'm feeding them on the 15th. Need to buy vinegar. Should tell the store manager he really ought to have a display of vinegar by the coloring kits.

my store had a display like that. makes things a lot easier. who knows where the vinegar is usually?

mbspell

marlenestclair wrote:Well that is wonderful news! I am jealous....my kid won't leave. One couldn't wait to bust the door down and this one will be with me forever! People wonder why I am medicated.....

well, middle son is talking about moving to west coast or canada (many video game companies there) or if Lego will have him, to Denmark.

I want my kids to be happy and successful but I would also like at least 1 to be on the same continent as me!!

on the other hand, when we move south no one will complain since they're not here anyway.

pooflady

mbspell wrote:got crap!!

use the search bar on the main page. if there is crap available you should find it

I just keep coming up with different items for sale.

hot72chev

quality posts: 25 Private Messages hot72chev
pooflady wrote:I just keep coming up with different items for sale.

Keep clicking -it's very random.

x9
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

hot72chev

pooflady wrote:Checking the calendar. If it's okay with the kids' calendars, we'll probably color eggs on the 15th, so I need to buy them around the 6th. Will spend a good part of the 14th boiling them. Jeez, that's just next week. Better get my act together for what I'm feeding them on the 15th. Need to buy vinegar. Should tell the store manager he really ought to have a display of vinegar by the coloring kits.

Poof, Poof, Poof...you color more eggs than anyone I have ever known. Tell the story about the massive quantities of eggs in your shopping cart and the lift gate on the SUV...tell it again, I can't stop laughing!

x9

pooflady

hot72chev wrote:Poof, Poof, Poof...you color more eggs than anyone I have ever known. Tell the story about the massive quantities of eggs in your shopping cart and the lift gate on the SUV...tell it again, I can't stop laughing!

Actually, oldest son and I don't color eggs, neither of us enjoy it.

Egg story: Just before Easter, 10 dozen eggs in shopping cart. Usually I open the hatchback in the back to put the groceries in, but it was kind of hot, so I went to the front, unlocked it, turned on the air, hit the button to open the hatch. I had no idea the hatch was strong enough to knock the shopping cart over. I know now. I don't remember how many were broken, but it wasn't too bad, less than a dozen. Lesson learned.

pooflady

hot72chev wrote:Keep clicking -it's very random.

Got one. Thank you. Really, really random.

hot72chev

pooflady wrote:Got one. Thank you. Really, really random.

YAY!

x9

pooflady

mbspell wrote:well, middle son is talking about moving to west coast or canada (many video game companies there) or if Lego will have him, to Denmark.

I want my kids to be happy and successful but I would also like at least 1 to be on the same continent as me!!

on the other hand, when we move south no one will complain since they're not here anyway.

Things can change rapidly. When oldest son left for college, I really thought that would be last time he lived around here. But he didn't like college, joined the Air Force. Still figured he wouldn't be back. Stationed in Utah. Met someone online. They decided he had the better tight-knit extended family, so they settled here.

mbspell

pooflady wrote:Things can change rapidly. When oldest son left for college, I really thought that would be last time he lived around here. But he didn't like college, joined the Air Force. Still figured he wouldn't be back. Stationed in Utah. Met someone online. They decided he had the better tight-knit extended family, so they settled here.

thanks, good to hear that. I do have hope that they will travel now but come back to live in the US

moles1138

pooflady wrote:Things can change rapidly. When oldest son left for college, I really thought that would be last time he lived around here. But he didn't like college, joined the Air Force. Still figured he wouldn't be back. Stationed in Utah. Met someone online. They decided he had the better tight-knit extended family, so they settled here.

Neither my brother nor I moved too far from home.
I am currently farthest at 6.2 miles.

moles1138

pooflady wrote:Got one. Thank you. Really, really random.

No crap yet

mbspell

moles1138 wrote:Neither my brother nor I moved too far from home.

sister and I are close to parents.

husband's family has 1 sister out of state, the rest are fairly close.

but we plan on moving south. not sure if kids are interested in being south

pooflady

mbspell wrote:sister and I are close to parents.

husband's family has 1 sister out of state, the rest are fairly close.

but we plan on moving south. not sure if kids are interested in being south

One sister and I are only kids. She's never lived more than a block away from our parents. I live 350 miles away. Good points and bad points. Good - we're still talking.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
pooflady wrote:One sister and I are only kids.

my sister was an only child

pooflady

no1 wrote:my sister was an only child

Disowned, huh?

pooflady

They're telling us snow on Thursday. Nooooooooooooooooo

no1

pooflady wrote:They're telling us snow on Thursday. sNooooooooooooooooow

ftfy

moles1138

pooflady wrote:They're telling us snow on Thursday. Nooooooooooooooooo

Us too.
Considering it's 71 now...that sucks.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
mbspell wrote:well, middle son is talking about moving to west coast or canada (many video game companies there) or if Lego will have him, to Denmark.

I know a few people at LEGO in Denmark. They hire a lot of Americans who want to come over, but they also have some jobs in the states (and my LinkedIn says they are frequently hiring in Shanghai). Let me know if I can help.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
moles1138 wrote:Neither my brother nor I moved too far from home.

I was 301 miles (6 hours), now we are around 7 hours from my parents. Inlaws, are 3-5 days drive depending on what time of year it is (Mother-in-law is a snowbird now).

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

mbspell

KtCallista wrote:I know a few people at LEGO in Denmark. They hire a lot of Americans who want to come over, but they also have some jobs in the states (and my LinkedIn says they are frequently hiring in Shanghai). Let me know if I can help.

oh my goodness. thank you. lego is his dream job.

he and some friends have started a lego darkflame site - basically running the defunct lego universe online game. he has spoken to people at lego hq about it.

got any advice for a boy who's dream job is lego and who is getting a degree in video game design/programming. (but would honestly probably sweep floors at lego LOL)

no1

mbspell wrote:got any advice for a boy who's dream job is lego and who is getting a degree in video game design/programming. (but would honestly probably sweep floors at lego LOL)

advise: don't walk around lego hq in bare feet.

marlenestclair

pooflady wrote:One sister and I are only kids. She's never lived more than a block away from our parents. I live 350 miles away. Good points and bad points. Good - we're still talking.

I have 3 sisters. One(older) I haven't seen since I was kid, have no idea where she is. One (older) lives in NJ, see her 2x a yr and we talk all the time. Baby sis lives in TX, we talk, but I haven't seen her in 10 yrs. All of our parents are deceased. All but my little sister are 1/2 sisters.

x9

This space for rent.

pooflady

mbspell wrote:oh my goodness. thank you. lego is his dream job.

he and some friends have started a lego darkflame site - basically running the defunct lego universe online game. he has spoken to people at lego hq about it.

got any advice for a boy who's dream job is lego and who is getting a degree in video game design/programming. (but would honestly probably sweep floors at lego LOL)

Isn't Woot great?

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
no1 wrote:advise: don't walk around lego hq in bare feet.

Is that how they caught you?

ⅉℚ Tenth Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
marlenestclair wrote:I have 3 sisters. One(older) I haven't seen since I was kid, have no idea where she is. One (older) lives in NJ, see her 2x a yr and we talk all the time. Baby sis lives in TX, we talk, but I haven't seen her in 10 yrs. All of our parents are deceased. All but my little sister are 1/2 sisters.

It kind of shocks me to hear about situations like that. My brother lives with me now (although I think we both sometimes would prefer if he moved out, or me, but it's my house), and I probably talk to my sister most weeks, unless she's really busy with work.

ⅉℚ Tenth Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

edlada

quality posts: 8 Private Messages edlada

My family are wanderers. My sister has lived in Africa twice; Kenya and Sudan, and she also lived in Belgium. She and her husband have settled in Ohio now for some years. I have lived in TX, OH, Germany, Korea, Japan and Poland is my home now. My brother has lived in Texas has settled in New Jersey for some years now. We started out in Pennsylvania, near Poof's hometown. My daughter was born in Japan, lived in Texas, Germany, NY state an is now in Ohio, right over the PA border. One of my brother's sons got married in New Jersey in 2015. It was the first and probably the only time my brother, my sister, me, and our children were all in the same place together.

My dogs like me, that is important.

mbspell

I live in the town I grew up in. both my sets of grandparents lived in the city next to us. it was a nice way to grow up. I have had cousins move away, but my sister and I are both local.

I went to college in FL and when there I missed the seasons. but I've had enough Boston winters now and would like to go someplace warmer. I didn't expect my boys would live in the same town as me, but I kinda expected they'd live in the US.

marlenestclair

Our story goes like this: my mom gave birth to my oldest sister after, um, shall we say some jerk slipped her a mickey at a supper club. She went away for 5 months and gave her up. She found us years later. Good story if anyone wants details I will post them.
My next oldest sister never forgave my dad from divorcing her mom who liked to sleep around and drink cocktails all day. She is the one I haven't seen since I was a kid.
Little sis is from my mom and dad's marriage.
We are all from PA, except me...I was born in TX. I live in VA because this is my husband's (now mine) home.

x9

This space for rent.

mbspell

marlenestclair wrote:Our story goes like this: my mom gave birth to my oldest sister after, um, shall we say some jerk slipped her a mickey at a supper club. She went away for 5 months and gave her up. She found us years later. Good story if anyone wants details I will post them.
My next oldest sister never forgave my dad from divorcing her mom who liked to sleep around and drink cocktails all day. She is the one I haven't seen since I was a kid.
Little sis is from my mom and dad's marriage.
We are all from PA, except me...I was born in TX. I live in VA because this is my husband's (now mine) home.

wow. quite the saga! I'd love more details if you don't mind sharing.